Stepping Into Darkness (3)

There was a blinding white light that appeared and vanished like a flash.

With my eyes closed, I took a deep breath. I opened my eyes to see the dim light of fire torches.

Fire torches?

I noticed something that made me rapidly blink my eyes in surprise. The walls around me looked like the interior of a cave with stalagmites hanging from the ceiling. And, right where the door had been, there was now a cave entrance.

What the hell?

I immediately turned back to crash into a wall. The walls were made of rock and were of a dark dusty color. 

There was no way out.

I peeked out of the cave. The light outside was just as dim as the light in the cave. That was probably because the cave opened up to a tunnel. The tunnel seemed quite spacious. There were strange creatures like the ones in the book walking here and there. I was frightened. These creatures that looked strange but quite like humans, were rough and seemed discourteous.

They will kill me if they see me.

If I go out there, I'm going to become dinner.

 If I don't go out, I won't know how to get back home.

I mustered up the courage to take my first step out of the cave.

The creatures passing by stared at me as if I was a mutated alien. There were humans too.   Dressed in rags, they were just skin and bones. This made me shiver with fright. I didn't know where I should go.

Then I saw a girl.

She seemed my age. I didn't know how someone as fragile as her came to this place. I could see that she was carrying a bag. Her face was covered in a red veil. She seemed really naïve. Through the veil I could see that she had brown hair.

I walked over to her.

 "Excuse me?"

 "Yes?" She turned towards me.

 She had green eyes.

 "Uh, could you tell me where I am right now? I'm kind of lost and I need to get home," I almost plead.

She gave no reaction. She was looking around  the tunnel as if she was afraid of something. She grabbed my hand and dragged me to a cave full which was dimly lit. It was darker than the first cave I had been in. There was not enough light for me to inspect my surroundings.

"Could you tell me where I am?" I asked again, desperately. My wrist was starting to get sore. This was freaking me out. I had no idea where I was or what this place was. All I knew was that I was alone and scared.

She still gave no response. She looked out of the cave as if she were still hiding from something. I repeated my question. She looked at me for a moment.

"You're in the Dark Dimension," she spoke gently.

"Dark Dimension? Where on earth is that?" I asked amused by the silly name.

"It's not on earth I can assure you of that. Earth is in a whole other dimension."

Great. I am lost and stuck with an idiot.

"Could you please help me? I don't know how to go home. How can I travel between dimensions?" My voice seemed like I was about to cry. I was amused at myself for believing I was somewhere that wasn't earth.

The girl stared at me for a moment. Her big eyes were shining in the dim light. Suddenly, her eyes widened as if she had realized something. She started blinking her eyes rapidly as is she could not believe what she had realized.