Demons (13)

Chapter Thirteen

Quote: "Deceiving others. That is what the world calls a romance."

I felt a sharp pain in my head as I opened my eyes. I was lying on a bed I had seen before. I slowly sat up looking around and taking in my surroundings. Nothing had changed. The room was the same as it had been before.

Where are you Shane?

I knew it was the room I'd stayed in when I had met Shane, when I'd run away from Eric and had spent a whole two weeks here. I wondered how I'd gotten here.

Suddenly all the memories from before came back. I remembered the laugh I'd heard just before I had fainted.

Eric

There was a throbbing pain in my heart as I thought of him. I had trusted him more than anyone else. I had felt safe in his company, gave myself to him, fallen in love with him and all I had gotten in return was nothing. I couldn't believe it. I kept thinking it was a dream. I tried my best not to cry because if I did start crying then I knew I wouldn't be able to figure out what was going to happen to me now.

I had finally seen the dark side of Eric Clarke.

Fear and passion were too things which were closely related with Eric. I should have known he was dangerous apart from being strangely thrilling. I hated myself for trusting him blindly. He had made me think I could trust him. Veronica had never liked him. She must have known what he was like. But she had never said anything to me.

I stared at myself in the mirror, feeling and looking terrible. I heard shuffling of someone's feet beside me. I turned around, frantically, afraid of who it might be. It was Shane with his blonde hair shimmering in what little light was there.

"Shane?" I was surprised at the miserable sound of my voice.

"Evelyn, I'm sorry. I don't know what he wants with you."

"Derek? Is he here?" my voice was hoarse, scared and fearful.

"He happens to own this place, actually." Shane replied looking away, not meeting my eyes.

"But-"

"I know. He wasn't here the last time. He found out that you were here. I knew you'd be safe away from here but I didn't know what to say to you. When you ran away I hoped you would be okay," Shane said his green eyes full of fear.

Is he scared of Derek?

"Are you afraid of him?"

"Maybe. Yes."  He said looking somewhat childlike and quickly adding to his defense "And believe me, I'm one of the many many people who are scared of him."

"He'll be coming when he finds out you're awake. I'll help you with the bruises later." Shane said looking at the door as if Derek was coming.

But I only have one bruise.

"Shane please take me away. I don't want to face Derek." I pleaded him hoping he'd take pity on me.

"I can't do that. I'm sorry but I really can't. He gets what he wants. I can't interfere."

Great. First Eric now you.

"Pleas-" I was stopped short when the door opened. I flinched, backing away a few inches.

Derek stood at the doorway. My heart almost stopped. Shane obediently moved out of his way.

"Oh Evelyn I see you're up and about. Like my house?" Derek said in a teasing voice.