Returning

Chapter 36

Returning

Marli looked up from video game when she heard the doorbell ring.

"Could you answer that, Marli?" her mother called from the kitchen.

"Sure," she paused the game and stood up.

The preteen opened the door; her eyes widening as she saw a greasy looking boy in a stupid looking gray coat with a violin case in his hand and a soul patch on his chin standing there.

"Uh, hi" she said.

"Hello, little girl," the boy said sweetly, bending over slightly to meet her eyes, "I'm looking for Mira. Is she home?"

Marli raised a blonde eyebrow. She already didn't like this guy. He was talking to her like she was a baby, or stupid.

"She might be," the younger girl replied, "who are you?"

Normally, Marli didn't give a crap about her sister's guests, but since this one struck her as being an asshole, she figured she might as well give him a hard time.

"I'm her boyfriend" he said, his voice losing a millimeter of its previous sweetness.

"What do you want?" came her next question. His dark eyes seem to darken somewhat and he let out an annoyed sigh.

"Look, is she here or not? I don't have time to listen to stupid questions by annoying children."

Marli met his angry glare coolly. Did this dude seriously think his condescending voice and mean remarks were going to intimidate her? It took a lot more than that.

"Golly, I'm sorry," she said mockingly, "but she's not here right now. Please come back when you get that violin out of your ass. Bye."

Marli stepped back and slammed the door, locking it. She heard him knocking but she was already walking back to her video games.

After a few minutes, Audrey walked out into the room.

"Who was at the door?" she asked. Marli shrugged.

"Just another asshole trying to sell something"

"So basically there a few different types of groups here" Christiana Anne Martin, head of the teen pregnancy support group said, "Teen mothers, pregnant teens, teens that chose adoption, and teen fathers."

"There's a group for teen fathers?" Seth Elsen asked in surprise. He remembered that Mira used to go to the pregnancy group, but had stopped going after a few weeks. And he needed to talk to someone who could understand what he was going through.

He'd been up all night trying to think of a solution to the situation with Mira. She had refused to talk to him; the only contact he had had was a text message.

'Not going to the new school. Do not reply'

He didn't know what to make of this. But he supposed that he would figure out what her adoption plans were when they went back to school.

"Yes there is. Didn't Mira ever tell you about it?" Christiana asked. He shook his head, playing with the strings of his gray hoodie.

"Uh, no. she doesn't really talk to me anymore."

"Oh, how unfortunate" the older woman said. "its always a shame when to-be teenage parents are unwilling or unable to make it work before the baby is born."

Seth raised an eyebrow in indignation. "What makes you think you have so much knowledge on this kind of situation?"

To his surprise, Christiana just smiled and leaned forward on her makeshift desk/table. "I am 23, I have a six year old son, and I have been in charge of these support groups for the last four years. So believe me when I say: what's going on between you and Mira is nothing new."