Kicking it up a Notch

Chapter 47

Kicking it up a Notch

Mira's eyes opened and she picked her head up off Brian's shoulder and looked around in confusion.

"Welcome back," Brian said playfully. She blinked her blue eyes against the light and looked at him.

"What happened?" she asked. He arched an eyebrow and laughed.

"You fell asleep. I think you drooled a little on my shirt."

Mira giggled and smacked his shoulder, "I don't drool!"

After a few seconds of the two teens laughing, Mira looked around for a clock "How long was I out?"

Brian glanced at his watch, "About twenty minutes, I figured you were exhausted, so I let you sleep."

She looked up at him with a smile, "Thanks." She pressed a friendly kiss to his cheek and settled back down into her chair.

A few moments later, she spoke again, "My legs are getting crampy."

"Well you did fall asleep curled up in a chair, and you are six months pregnant."

She placed her hands on the arms of her chair and awkwardly tried to stand up, "I'm going to go for a little walk," she grunted and tried to lift herself up again.

She had gained quite a bit of weight the last six months, her once flat and smooth stomach was now roughly the size of a beach ball. She had nearly fainted when she found out she would only get bigger in the next three months.

Brian hopped up from his chair and took her arm, gently raising her to her feet. Mira was surprised, she remembered Jake always just stood there and watched her struggle to stand up, never once offering to help her.

"Thanks" she said. He nodded and sat back in his chair, "will you tell me if there is any change?"

"Yeah, of course."

Mira left the room and began down the hallway. Both hands balanced on her large bump, she was surprised that no one here gave her any drity looks. She supposed that when you work in a hospital, a pregnant teen is not the weirdest thing you see in a day.

"Maybe I'll check out the new babies," she thought aloud.

The teen had been in the natal ward for a total of five minutes before she practically ran out. Four women were in the process of giving birth, and their bloodcurdling screams were scary enough to leave.

'God I hope I don't sound like that when I give birth.' She mumbled.

As Mira began to head to the cafeteria to see her mom, she pulled her cell phone out of her purse with the intention to send a quick text message to Ava… when it happened.

Mira froze on the spot, finger in mid text. What the hell…?

She felt something shift inside of her. Before she had time to wonder what was happening, it happened again.

The baby was moving and… it kicked.

Mira began to panic, she knew that the baby was supposed to move, but was it supposed to be this intense?

"What are you…" she whispered, only to flinch when another kick happened under her skin.

"Oh god," she whimpered and leaned against the nearest wall. What was happening? She did not know what to do?

Her head snapped up as a realization hit her. Holy shit, was the baby coming? That must be it, she'd heard of women going into premature labor.

"Oh God," she repeated louder. Beads of sweat appeared on her brown and breathing suddenly became difficult.