Decisions

Chapter 7

Decisions

When Seth drove Mira back to her house, the fear was obvious between them. They had debated over to tell her parents when they arrived at her home, but Seth said that he didn't want to be there when she told them. Apparently he wanted to live. The expectant parents agreed that they would pick a date to tell them soon.

When they pulled into her driveway, Seth turned and saw her staring at her house with a sad expression. Her small hand still rested on her stomach.

"Well, here we are." He said. She unbuckled her seatbelt and grabbed the door handle.

"Do you promise not to tell anyone?" she asked one leg out of the car.

"Yeah, of course." She gave him a small smile of appreciation and hopped out of the car and walked into her house.

Seth watched her walk away from the car before sighing and resting his head against his seat. He backed out of her driveway and headed toward Ashley's house. Once he arrived, he pulled a condom out of the glove compartment. He paused, and then grabbed a handful, just to be safe.

The second Mira walked through the front door; she was immediately seized by Marli and dragged up the stairs.

"What is it?" she asked when her younger sister dragged her into her room.

"Mom's been on the phone with the insurance agent all day. She is pissed because apparently they sent her a bill for your ultrasound. She thinks it's a fraud or something." Mira's eyes widened and she gasped. "Don't worry; I unplugged the phone by 'accident'"

"God damn," she swore, dropping onto Marli's bed.

"They are going to find out soon, sis," she ran her hand over her eyes.

"I know."

"Mom has given up trying to call the insurance agents, but I bet she'll try again tomorrow." Mira sighed and flipped open her phone. "Who are you calling?"

"Seth." The oldest answered simply and dialed his number.

Said boy was in the process of tugging Ashley's skirt off when he felt his phone vibrate in his pocket. He ignored it. He was in no mood to talk to people.

Mira sighed in frustration when she heard his answering machine for the second time.

"Hey, Seth, it's Mira. Listen, my parents are hot on the trail of finding out. I decided I'm going to tell them sooner instead of later. I was hoping you'd answer and help me, but I guess I'll handle it on my own." She closed the phone and turned to her sister, who gave her a weak smile and hugged her.

A week slowly passed by. Audrey had reached the insurance agents and they were sending her a copy of the doctor's report through the mail. Everyday the three Pascal children would search through the mailbox for it.

Mira knew that time was quickly running out. Seth had gotten her message and had been pestering her about it every chance he got. Finally, on Wednesday, she told him. He approached her as she was leaving her second hour class.

"Hey." He greeted. She nodded at him. "So… have you told them?"

"My answer is the same as it was forty five minutes ago: no!"

"Ooh, Hormones acting up?" he asked with a smirk. She glared at him.

"What do you want, Seth?"

"Can't a man talk to his baby-mama?"

"What have I told you about calling me that?" she snapped as she began to twist the dial of her locker.

"Sorry, just trying to lighten the mood. But listen, um you said you're mom should get the report either today or tomorrow?" she paused and nodded. "Have you thought about what you're going to say?"

"Yes I have. Why?" he clearly did not expecting her answer. "Did you expect me to just wing it?"

"No, it's just that I've been doing some thinking and… I really don't think I'm ready to be a father. And you're clearly not ready to be a mom…" she cut him off.

"What are you trying to say?"

"What I'm trying to say is… there is a way that neither of us has to be parents. No one does." Her eyes widened.

"Are you talking about… abortion?" she whispered. He looked down guiltily then back up at her.

"Do we have much of a choice? Cuz to be honest I'm not gonna be able to handle this baby. And I really don't want to." The blonde held her books close to her chest as she felt tears forming in her eyes. "Oh god, I didn't mean to upset you," Was his quick reply. The bell rang and students began walking down the hall toward class. She closed her locker and sighed.

"I have to go. Goodbye Seth." She walked past him slowly and headed toward the library.

She flashed her pass to the librarian (it was a fake one she used for emergencies) and walked to the back of the library. She sank to the floor and buried her face into her knees, shoulders shaking with sobs. Only one question crossed her mind: how am I gonna do this?

She had gone over the options so many times and she knew that she had to tell her parents. If they found out on their own, it would only end badly.

Pulling her cell phone from her pocket, she stared at her mother's name in the address book.

'For the baby' she thought as she pressed 'dial'.