Coming Clean

Chapter 5

Coming Clean

A few awkward minutes passed before someone finally said something.

"How?" Matt asked softly. Mira was having serious Déjà Vu from the other day with Sara.

"I think we both know the answer to that?" she mumbled. Marli, who had been sitting beside Matt on the bed, looked up at her sister.

"Who's the dad?" Mira stared at the toes of her bunny slippers sadly.

"Seth Elsen." Matt jumped up.

"Seth Elsen? You mean that toolbox little ass…" he trailed off when he saw tears filling her eyes. "How far along are you?" he asked staring at the black and white photos.

"About six weeks."

"What are you gonna do?" Marli asked.

"Like I told Paige and Sara; I don't know." She said as she sank into the bed opposite her siblings.

"You told Paige and Sara before your own brother and sister?" Matt asked incredulously. She smiled in awkwardness.

"Sorry." She says clearly not knowing what else to say. Matt raked his fingers through his hair.

"Does anyone else know?"

"No one but you, my friends, and the doctor."

"When are you planning to tell mom and dad? Or Seth?" Marli exclaimed loudly. The older Pacals glared at her.

"Maybe I'll never have to."

"Uh, they're gonna figure it out when a baby comes outta you in eight months." Matt said with a roll of his eyes.

"I mean… I'm thinking of the a-word." Marli and Matt stared her in shock.

"Abortion or adoption?" he asked. She shrugged.

"If one doesn't work, then I'll try the other."

"Are you serious?" Marli asked. Mira stood up.

"Maybe! I don't know! I JUST found out the other day. And I'm really scared. And I'm really angry. And I'm really confused!" that was when she broke down crying. She collapsed on the bed with her face buried in her hands. She felt Marli crawl next to her and hug her tightly. Matt moved to the other side of the bed and pulled both his sisters into his arms gently.

"It's ok, sis." Marli whispered.

"Yea, we're here for you." The oldest said. Mira just continued sobbing against his shoulder.

Two weeks passed by slowly. Every day Mira became more and more anxious about her growing stomach. Her clothes were becoming a bit tight on her.

Every time she saw her sibling or her friends, they always asked if she was ok. Did she feel weird? Was she thirsty? Were there any nauseas feelings? It really got on her nerves.

She still hadn't told anyone. Her parents and the baby's father were completely in the dark about the whole situation. She had done the research on abortion and immediately that option was out of the question. Every time she even thought of it, the images of the sea monkey that was her baby came into her mind and made her feel like it was murder.

She knew that the only she could do adoption as an option was if the baby daddy knew about it. Her decision was to tell him after school.

After the last bell rang, she found him in the parking lot. She patiently hid behind a senior's SUV until he said goodbye to his friends. As he was opening the driver's seat of his car, she rushed toward him.

"Seth!" he froze and turned to her quickly. A look of confusion crossed his face when he saw her nervously approaching.

"Uh… hey Mira." He said awkwardly. She stopped just a few feet away from him. "I can't really talk now, I gotta get to work."

"This'll only take a second. I need to talk to you about… Shelia's party" Seth groaned inwardly. This poor girl just couldn't let him go could she? He figured he better let her down easy.

"Listen, Mira, its not that you're not attractive, cuz ya are." Mira's eyes narrowed. Did he seriously think she was here to beg for more horrible sex? She saw behind his discomfort that he clearly loved the attention. Time for that to end.

"I-"

"It's just that I'm with Ashley and she…"

"I'm pregnant." She interrupted bluntly. That shut him up. His face went from smug/pretend discomfort to one of greater confusion and shock.

"What?" he asked.

"The condom you used… it broke." His eyes widened.

"You… you're not serious. You can't be serious." She nodded. "Is it mine?" now she glared at him.

"Yes it's yours! You were the only guy I've ever slept with." He leaned against his car in shock.

"I… I honestly don't know what to say." He ran his fingers through his dark brown hair and pulled out a packet of cigarettes. "This is happening way too fast." He said, fumbling for his lighter. Mira grabbed his arm.

"You aren't seriously about to smoke around me are you?" he put the lighter away.

"Right, sorry. So what do you want me to do? Am I supposed to propose or something?"

"No, I never even wanted to tell you. But I can't go through with an abortion because of the pictures and the only way adoption is an option is if-" he cut her off.

"What pictures?" She dug through her purse, only to look up guiltily.

"I don't exactly have the photos right now, but I can show them to you later."

"I really don't think I can handle this right now. I have to get to work." He said while reaching for the car door. She sighed and stuffed the pictures back into her purse.

"Don't tell anyone about this, ok? I haven't told very many people and I don't want you to tell anyone." He nodded and opened the door.

"I won't. Um… can I call you later? Or do you want to meet somewhere?"

"You can come over later if you want. I'm still debating on when to tell my parents." That statement made him look up.

"You haven't told your parents yet?" she shook her head. He sighed and rested his hand on the steering wheel.

"Well, I need your address if I'm gonna come see you later." She pulled out a scrap of paper from her purse and scribbled down her address. He glanced at it and got into the vehicle. "I'll be by later. See ya." He added uneasily. She nodded and started walking away from his car. He watched her for a second before slamming his forehead on the steering wheel. This could not be happening.