Fear, Jealousy, Desperate Friends

Chapter 10

Fear, Jealousy, Desperate Friends

Mira and Audrey walked into the house in silence. The ride home had been completely silent, other than the occasional sounds of suppressed sobbing. Mira took a seat at the kitchen table while her mother put a pot of water on the stove to make lunch. She then sat at the table across from her daughter.

With a tired sigh and a deep breath, she looked at Mira.

"What happened, baby?" she whispered. The teenager told her mom about the party, about how she had gotten a bit drunk, that she was sorry, about how Seth had tricked her, how sorry she was, that having sex had really hurt, about taking the pregnancy test, then taking nine more, that she was really sorry, how she has been hiding it in fear, and did she mention she was sorry?

The older woman stared at her for a moment before bursting into tears. Mira stood up quickly and clung to her, tears streaming down her cheeks.

"Mom, I'm so sorry. I'm really really sorry. I don't know what else to say. Please don't hit me!" Audrey looked at her and wiped her eyes with a napkin.

"Don't be ridiculous, I could never hit you." Mira sighed in relief,

"Are you going to tell dad?" she asked fearfully,

"That depends. Have you come to any decisions?" Mira shrugged.

"I know abortion would be the best decision," she began tearing up and looked at the picture of her sea monkey baby, "but mom I can't do it. I can't willingly kill an innocent baby." To her surprise, Audrey nodded.

"I can understand that. And I would never force you to get an abortion." She stood up and poured the noodles into the boiling water. "Does Seth Elsen know?"

"Yea, I told him"

"How did that go?"

"Bad, and today he asked me to get an abortion." Audrey sighed and sat back into her chair. She took her daughter's hands.

"Mira, even though I am not happy about this, I will support whatever you decide to do." She leaned forward and embraced her pregnant daughter, lightly running her hand through the long blonde hair.

"I love you mommy." She sobbed.

"I love you too honey." Mira pulled away and wiped her eyes.

"Mom, I don't think we should tell dad yet. Marli and Matt already know, so we can tell them to not say a word."

"I agree. Your father's reaction could be a bit unpredictable."

Ashley lay across her bed sobbing loudly. Her best friend, Janine Farnsworth, sat beside her. Janine and Ashley had been best friends since forth grade. She had long, naturally red hair and blue grey eyes. Freckles coated her toned, perfect body. She plucked a tissue from the box and handed it to Ashley. She took it and blotted at the long mascara streaks on her face.

"How-how could t-this happen?" she wailed. Janine lightly rubbed her shoulder. "Why would he sleep with her? Why? How could that… that nobody have a baby with my boyfriend!" the redhead sighed and glanced at her watch. She had been hearing her scream the same thing for an hour and a half.

"I'm sorry, Ash. Tomorrow we can get back at her. But right now, I gotta go. I've got a date tonight" as she stood up to leave, Ashley screamed.

"How can you leave me in my time of need?" she wailed loudly

"I'll call you later. I'm really sorry." She walked out of the room and Ashley collapsed on the bed dramatically. Seth had tried to call and text her several times, but she had ignored them all

"I HATE MIRA PASCAL!" She exclaimed loudly to the ceiling. She would talk that little blonde boyfriend stealing bitch into getting an abortion. Her mind was made up. Mira Pascal was NOT going to have a baby with her boyfriend. Not if she could do anything about it.

When Matt and Marli came home, Mira and Audrey told them about everything they had talked about all afternoon. They all agreed that it would be best not to tell Adam about it right away.

Mira was in her room doing her homework when there was a knock at her door.

"Its open" she called, not looking up. Matt walked in, carrying the house phone, his cell phone, and her confiscated cell phone.

"Paige and Sara are really desperate to reach you. They sent me seven text messages, they sent you twenty, and they called the house thirteen times each." Mira sat up with wide eyes. "How did they get my number? I changed it twice so they would leave me alone!"

"Mom took my phone, what are they saying?" he tossed her cell phone on the bed. She turned it on.

'OMG CALL ME ASAP!' Sara

'Whats going on with the parents? Call me!' Paige

'Seth won't stop asking about you! Where did you go? Did u tell ur rents? What did they say? Call me!' Paige

The pregnant girl groaned and closed her phone, figuring she would read the other seventeen messages later.

"Good luck with dealing, sis." He said before leaving the room. Mira was about to call Sara when her phone suddenly lit up.

'Seth Elsen calling'

Her finger hovered over the Answer button before pressing Ignore. He was honestly the last person she wanted to talk to. About a minute later, her phone beeped with a new voicemail.

"Hey Mira, it's um… Seth. I just called to tell you that I know you told your parents. And I was wondering how that went. And whether I should go to a safe house. Heh heh. But yeah, um… call me back. Or text. Whichever. Bye"

After listening to his message, it took all her strength not to break down crying. Her mom knew, but how would her father take it?