Breaking Point

Chapter 14

Breaking point

It took a few minutes for them to wake up Carolyn.

"Mom? Mom? Can you hear me?" Seth asked, snapping his fingers in front of her face. She slapped his hands away from her.

"I'm fine Seth!" she said angrily. Looking at Mira, who had been hiding behind Seth, she sighed. "Why don't you take…" she gestured at the pregnant girl helplessly.

"Mira" the teens said simultaneously

"Yes, Mira… Take her home and…. And we'll discuss this later." Dave rests his hands on his wife's shoulders.

"Don't you want her to be there so we can make decisions?" Seth asked. Dave shook his head.

"No. we don't want that… girl to be there." Seth saw Mira squeeze her eyes closed and lightly placed his hand on her shoulder. Apparently she noticed the mean tone that Dave shot in her direction.

"Come on, I'll drive you home" she nodded and the two began toward his car.

"Go straight home after." Carolyn said.

"I will." He called back.

"Are you sure you're ok?" they heard Dave ask Carolyn. "You're not in the best of situations to handle this stress."

"Yes, I'm fine dear. Let's just go."

As Seth drove, he noticed that Mira had crossed her arms tightly over her stomach.

"You ok?" he asked.

"Yeah, I'm fine. But… what did your dad mean when he said she wasn't in the best situations to handle this? She's not, like, pregnant too is she?" he recognized her worried tone and shook his head.

"No, after having my brat of a half sister, they don't want anymore kids" she smiled slightly "My mom's just been under a lot of stress lately with work. And this is probably bad for her." Mira nodded.

"I'm sorry." She said softly. He shrugs.

"It's not your fault."

When they arrived in front of her house, she turned to him.

"Will you, um, call me and tell me how it goes with your parents?" she asked timidly.

"Sure. And tell me how it goes with your dad." She nodded.

"Ok." She climbed out of the car and headed toward the front porch. Only after he drove away did she realize she was still wearing his jacket.

Mira walked into the quiet house.

"Mom? Dad? Anyone here?" Marli suddenly came running down the stairs and clapped her hand over her sister's mouth.

"Shh! Matt finally got mom to calm down!" she hissed.

Mira raised an eyebrow and pulled off her hands. "Calm down from what? Is daddy not home yet?" the preteen shook her head sadly.

"Nope, and we don't know where he is either." Mira let out a heavy sigh.

"Cant say that I'm surprised that he reacted this way," she muttered. "So, have you heard anything about your punishment for getting in trouble at school?"

Marli shrugs. "No, they've been a bit busy with the pregnant daughter. But they will eventually. It was worth it though. I've still got that ripped out chunk of Jacqueline's hair upstairs in my scrapbook." The two sisters giggled.

"Well mom's gonna make me go to school tomorrow, so I better get to bed. Night."

"Night, sis."

Mira walked up to her room and changed into her pajamas, but slipped the jacket back on over them before falling asleep.