Waking for the first time

Chapter 48

Waking for the first time

Seth felt that kick. Despite the fact that his brain was currently out of commission, something inside his comatose body said to move his hand when the kick occurred. It was like a hidden crevice inside his brain told him that the flutter he felt under his fingers meant something good.

Carolyn had mixed feelings about the situation. After witnessing that tender moment between her son and Mira, she felt confused. It appeared that even unconscious, Seth knew her presence. That moment really clicked in her head; she was going to have a grandchild.

Before it had just been referred to 'Seth's baby', but now… why was she feeling a sort of motherly sentiment that she had long since forgotten.

When she had gotten pregnant with Julie, it was like a dream come true; she had gotten away from her ex-husband and was finally going to have the little girl she had always dreamed of.

Carolyn knew the horrific things that Joseph had done to Seth, and she knew that as he got older, he would probably repeat those actions, so she moved Seth to the guest house in the back yard and practically took him out of their lives.

Did it make her a bad mother if the only thing she could connect to her son was ten years worth of drug abuse, alcohol abuse, and physical abuse? Did it make her bad if she tried to forget everything in her life before Dave, including Seth?

Julie had always been such a joy and Seth had always been so… rebellious. And a part of her resented him for keeping her from reaching her own happiness.

But as the older woman looked down at her son, his handsome face peaceful and serene, she could feel the regret clench in her gut. He looked so like his father… yet much more innocent.

Mira's words from two days ago rang in her head. "My baby's not even born yet, and I'm already a better mother than you! Because I'm putting his or her happiness before myself!"

Hesitantly, she reached a hand out and laid it atop his dark hair.

"I wish I knew what to say to you." She whispered, "I wish I could say the words to make you forgive me for what I've done in the past."

Her head shot up when she heard a small groan emerge from Seth's slightly parted lips. His eyes squeezed slightly tighter.

"Seth, can you hear me? It's me, its mommy." This statement only elicited a whimper from the teen. His head tilted a little to the side and his hand twitched.

Inside Seth's body, he was struggling. Carolyn's voice, at any other time would have been muddled and thick in his brain, was suddenly clear.

'Come on' he mentally begged himself, 'please let me wake up,'

"Mmmmm" he managed to hum. He felt a cold hand stroke his forehead as the strength started leaving his body from his effort.

'No,' he thought firmly, 'I need to open my eyes.'

"Seth, please baby, try to say something." Baby? Since when did she call him by any term of endearment?

He whimpered and tried lit a spark in his brain to clear out the remaining fog. It was not easy, he was so weak, and the drugs weren't helping. After a moment, he just gave up and fell limp.

"Please," she begged again, "people have been here to see you. Your friends, your sister… and you remember hearing Mira, right? She let you feel the baby kick.

Wait, what? Seth's eyebrows knit together in effort, was that the little flutter he felt? Did the baby kick?

"I know that I have never admitted this, but lots people need you here. There is a… baby that needs you. And I…need you."