See You In Court

Amber POV-

Auggie parked his car so me and Stacy could get out at the President of the University's office.

"Imma go in with y'all." He said unbuckling his seat belt.

"Auggie I got it. I don't  want you getting involved. You focus on graduating that's it's." I told him as I gathered my briefcase.

"Aight well Imma wait till y'all done." He got out and opened the car door for me and Stac.

"Knock em dead mommy. They gon learn not to play with APA." He kissed my cheek and hugged me.

"Boy goodbye." I laughed.

"Don't go Puerto-Rican on em' Aunt Stac." He hugged Stacy.

"Imma try." She gave a slight laugh.

Me and Stac went into the building.

We were greeted by the President's receptionist.

"I'm here to speak to President Bradford." I said to his young receptionist.

"Name please?" She asked looking in a computer.

"Amber Alsina."

She looked at her screen, I suppose looking at his appointments. I had called yesterday and made one. They gave me a hard time, but I got a slot.

"One moment please. I'll let him know you're here."

Me and Stac sat down on a couch, while she called him to alert him of our arrival.

I held Stac's hand and kissed it. She had been trying to hold it together but it was hard. Specifically because something like this almost happened to her, which is how her and August became friends.

"He'll meet with you now." The receptionist told us and directed us to his office. 

Me and Stac went to the door. We knocked. A male voice on the other side said we could come in.

"How may I help you two ladies?" He got up from his desk, shook our hands and directed us to the leather chairs in front of his desk

"I'm Attorney Amber Alsina representing one of your students. This is her mother Dr. Stacy Labranch." Me and Stac sat.

"Attorney? What is the problem?" He put his fingers to his lips in a contemplative position.

"One of your students was raped by a professor on this campus. Professor Michael B. Jordan."

"I see. We're police reports filed?" He asked.

"Yes with both the campus police and DC police." I handed him a copy of both reports.

He looked them over.

"Hmm." He said looking at both reports.

"Is there a problem?" Stacy asked with a hint of attitude.

"It says here that the "alleged rape." He did air quotations. "Happened at the professors home. I see quiet a few problems."

"And what would those be?" I asked.

"Why would a student be a professors home?"

"The police report explains my daughter was interning for him, he invited her in and raped her."
Stac got loud.

"And you believe that?" He asked Stacy.

"Yes I do. My daughter has no reason to lie."

"Okay." He rolled his eyes. "Even if this "alleged rape" did happen." He did air quotations again. "It's out of my hands. It happened off campus. We only handle campus matters."
He slid us back the reports.

"It does when it involves a professor on this University campus. As well as a student who is paying her tuition dollars to fund your fucking salary." Stacy got in his face and almost grabbed him. I grabbed her away from him.

"Let me at him Amb oooo." Stac let out a loud sigh of frustration.

"No. Let me handle this." I put my hand up to stop her.

"There's nothing to handle." He said. "Listen, I'm sorry that this happen to your daughter." He looked at Stac. "But it's nothing we can do. It didn't happen on our campus, therefore it is out of our hands."

Stac was going to say something, I touched her to stop.

"No, this didn't happen on your campus which is why we went to the police to fill out a report. But the rape of Tameka Shaw did. Does that name ring a bell?"

His face showed me he was very familiar with this situation. "That situation has already been handled." He said abruptly.

"It wasn't handled. You intimidated that girl into compliance because you didn't want to taint the name of your university and when she refused to comply and be silent, you expelled her." I got in his face.

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"Oh you know. And you better believe Tameka's story and my client's story will be heard whether the university listens or not. Because we're going to the public. We're calling a press conference where they will speak about how this university doesn't protect its female students. Howard's enrollment is already declining I'm sure new students would love to hear this. Let's go Stac:"

"What do you want? Is it money? How much?" He grabbed my arm to stop me.

"My daughter's life is worth more than money." Stac yelled.

"Then what do you want? Just please let's keep this a private matter. For everyone's sake."

"Terminate Professor Jordan immediately and issue a public statement on behalf of the university to its female students it failed to protect. Including Tameka Shaw."

"I can't do that."

"Then we will proceed not only with criminal charges, but civil charges on behalf of all victims involved." I got up and directed Stac too. She did.

"You as a black woman should understand why I can't fire that man. It is already hard enough for black men in academia and he's a great professor."

I laughed. "You cannot be serious. Using the black man card? I have a black man as a husband. I am raising two black men myself and they would never ever, ever dare have the disregard for black women the way this institution has. And you know why? Because I have taught them how to have respect. Just like I'm
Going to teach this university so no other black girl that comes here will feels unsupported and disrespected. See you and this institution in court. Come on Stac."

Stac spit in his face. I took her by her hand and we walked out.