Lemonade

I looked at Miri. His little chest going up and down with his breathing movements. But despite the tubes he still seemed to be resting peacefully.

Amiri Sylvester Alsina. Our miracle child literally. From us losing our other child through a miscarriage, from our many failed attempts to have another one, to him surviving his mother being shot unharmed except for being born prematurely, he had been through war and back and somehow he was here.

"He's resilient because Amb is."
Stacy looked at me sure. Not a tear in her eye. "A child cannot be greater than the parent. What the parent possesses so does the child. He made it and Amb is."

I wiped my eyes and looked to make sure no one else was around. They weren't.

"If Amb don't make it, I want my kids to live you and Trav."

"What are you talking about?"

"Mama and Amb's mother they up in age. Cha already raised three. I don't want to put that burden on them. And I don't trust nobody else with my children's lives. I know y'all gon raise em right. I know y'all gon love em and give them everything me and Amb would."

"Hold on. You talking about killing yourself?" She screamed whispered to me.

"If Amb don't make it. I'm not."

She grabbed me by my arm and pulled me into a bathroom, locking the door.

"August snap out of it." She yelled shaking me.

"I can't. I made the decision already. Now I told you because I don't want there to be confusion. If I got to write it down for proof. I will."

"You are not killing yourself."

"Stacy It's not right they suffering and I'm not. I'm the man of my house Stac. That means I'm suppose to protect and take care of them and I can't do that. Ever since I been with Amb I just failed as a man. First it was I didn't have the money. Then getting kicked out of school. Now she..." I broke down.

Stacy brought my head down to her shoulders and patted my back.

"Aug we can't do this." She tried to keep herself from crying. "I promised myself I would be strong for her. Amb was there for everybody else and she needs us to be there by believing, praying and hoping for the best. Not by doubting."

"I hurt so bad Stac I can't breathe. Amb is my everything man. She my everything and if she go, there's no point to my life anymore. I barely survived Mel being gone, but Amb? I just know right now, I'm not."

- Death Wish- Life After Marriage

Assata POV-

"Ma go downstairs  and talk to daddy."

"No when he leaves I'm going to a hotel."

I sighed. I just wanted them both out my house really. He had been downstairs all day and refused to leave until she spoke to him and she refused to come down.

"Ma Whatever it is. Just go work it out. You can't make up with Auggie and not daddy. Daddy isn't responsible for Auggie's decisions."

"This is deeper than Auggie." She was packing her stuff.

This drama was just never ending. And all I really wanted to do was get laid. That's it. But it wasn't going to happen. Cause once her and Auggie made up.