Father to Son

Papa Aug POV-

My wife had called me hysterical, saying that Auggie hit her. That's all I needed to know to catch the first plane outta Philly to pay his little ass a visit.

I joke with my kids. I try to be the nicer parent, because I let Amber be the disciplinarian. I like having the type of relationship with my boys where they feel comfortable enough to talk me about all aspects of life. As young men, they needed that. I didn't have a Pop and it was so many times I  wished I could've just talked to him about certain things. So I try to keep that line of communication open for my boys, like me and Auggie did the other day.

But they knew that  the cool" Pop shit, could turn gully real quick. And this was one of those situations. One thing I was never going to let them do is disrespect their mother. I don't care the reason. That's the type of shit make me take you out of this world.

I rang Sata's doorbell.

"I'm coming hold on." I heard her say.

She answered the door. I stepped in.

"Go get August and tell him to bring his black ass down here."

"What happened?"

"Go get August."

She saw I wasn't playing and quickly went up the stairs to go get him. I was dressed in a suit and a Trench coat but as soon as he touched down all this was about to come off.

He walked down the stairs with Sata.

"You raised your hand to hit your mother?" I took off my Trench and threw it on the couch.

"It's not like that Pop. She was beating on me and I pushed her so she would stop. That's it. Miri saw it. He knows."

"Get over here." I took off my suit jacket and threw it on top of the Trench.

He walked over to me with his head down.

"Closer."

He came closer and put his head down.

"Look at me."

He looked at me.

"You that much of a man you push your mother?"

"No." He wiped the tears from his eyes.

"I don't care how old you are. How angry you are. Look at me." I pulled his face up to me.

"You put your hands on your mother, they better dig a grave right next to Mel because that's where your little ass is going to be you hear me?"

"Yeah." He wiped his eyes.

"And I know you didn't say what you said did you? That didn't come out of the son's mouth I raised did it?"

"She was disrespecting my girl Pop. Calling her trash. I couldn't just let that slide."

"Was the girl disrespectful to her?"

"No that's thing. They were just sitting in the living room and she came in there starting stuff because she doesn't like her for no reason. She didn't even know Ra to say the things she said. She doesn't even know what Ra has been through. She's been through a whole lot and she heard everything Ma said about her."

"I wasn't there but I believe Auggie daddy. He's talked about her before and she said some negative stuff then." Sata defended Auggie.

"And she was really disrespectful to Ra yesterday. Calling her a goal digger. Saying go take the trash where you found it. And that's my mother and I love her, but I can't allow her to talk about Ra like that. Especially when she's there hearing all that. And Shantel her daughter had to hear all this too."

I knew Amb was overly cautious and protective when it came to my boys. And as a parent I understand it you want the best for your kids. But to prejudge somebody after having not met them. Especially when she know her mother gave me a hard time in the beginning, is  hypocritical. At least get to know the girl and make a judgment.

"Go get your girlfriend."

"Huh?"

"Go get her."

"She packing to leave because of what Ma did yesterday but I'll see if she'll come down." He went upstairs.

I sat down on the couch and shook my head.

"She gets too protective of Auggie and Miri sometimes. It's like they have to live. And if they make a mistake let them learn from it." Sata sat down on the couch next to me.

"Amber knows she was wrong. And it's hypocritical seeing as y'all grand mother gave me a hard time." I ran my hands down my face. This was getting ridiculous.

I heard a little girl's voice laughing. I stood up and turned around. Seeing a young lady that looked almost strikingly similar to Amb. And Auggie held the cutest little girl in his arms.

Amb couldn't even see that Auggie was showing her the highest compliment. He loved and admired his mother so much, he found a woman that reflected her.

"Good morning young lady. I'm Dr. Alsina." I shook her hand.

"Rahiel."

Pronounced Ra-He-El for the person that asked.

"And who are you beautiful?" I asked the little girl in Auggie's arm.

She looked at Auggie.

"Don't be shy Na, tell my Pop your name?" He chuckled.

"Is he mean like your mother?"

"Nah. Pop cool."

She looked at me.

"Shantel." She put her head on Auggie's shoulder shyly. He kissed her forehead.

"Rahiel I wanna first apologize to you on behalf of my wife. She was completely out of line and I will handle that. And I don't want you guys to go. I'm going to personally cook you and Shantel dinner tonight at my house. I would love to know the young lady in my son's life. Is that cool?"

Ra looked at Auggie. Auggie looked at her like please stay.

"Yeah I don't care. Thank you." She sighed.

"Sweetheart you want some candy?" I pulled out a sucker I had picked up off the desk from the hotel on my way out and handed it to Shantel.

"Unh-Unh. My mama say don't take candy from strangers. They kidnap you. Me no want to get kidnap."

We all laughed.

"Smart mother." I winked at Rahiel.

"Again I apologize sweetheart." I told Rahiel. "Auggie I'll call y'all when it's done."

"Okay. Thank you Pop." I hugged my son.

"Bye daddy." I hugged Sata.

"You and O come too." I told her.

"We will."

I got my suit jacket and coat and walked out the door.