Twenty-three

The thing about hating school wasn't exactly the dreadful homework, nor the pissy bitched attitude teachers. Anyone could handle that. What truly made high school life bleak and impossible were the students. Because not everyone was popular. Not every one would fit in. It was on days like these that I hated humanity. I usually drowned out the mundane, childish affairs that happened around me. Usually my own thoughts consumed me, but today, today was a different story.

As I sat dead like, pale and staring at the empty space with a fork in my hand I could barely fixate on the Mac and cheese in front of me.

My own thoughts coursed loud and clear, like bells,
in my mind reminding me every each second of whom I was and what was happening to me. My life, my sanity. My reality.

So even as I tried to keep my mind a bay, in territory of baby blue sky and cotton white clouds with care free personality, I could not.

Because right now my moral code was gnawing at me to do the right thing.

As I sat in the corner of the cafeteria with my back to the world, even I, Lilith Grey was aware of what was going on. Even I, whom could barely string so much as a sentence in class as a reply to my teacher who'd caught my mind drifting again and asked what the answer to question number four on the homework was.

Behind me, the cackling continued and I decided to end it. I dropped my fork on the table, dead blue eyes set with annoyance and turned around.

Behind me Chase and his other idiot friend were messing with the new kid. Or at least I think she was knew. I'd never seen her before. I'd grown up with most of these rich kids, so even I noticed a knew face. She definitely stood out.  Dressed in a black long sweater dress, and black Mary Jane shoes. She was a contrasting imagine of black and white with her seaweed like black hair and frosty skin. She bore the expression of death, as if to say, "how did I end up in this town full of stuck up rich kids?"

Chase had her  wallet which she needed to get lunch with, I assumed, in his hands and kept dangling it from her high in the air.

Seriously, what was this? Elementary school?

The girl simply stood in place, setting a Stoney blue eyed glare at him. When he didn't get the response he was looking for he opened it and started spilling out the contents. Dollar bills, cigarettes, and and ID fell to the floor along with the ringing loud noise of coins as they hit the floor.

The girls scowl grew, and she took a step forward.

"Pick. Up. My. Shit." She said in poisonous voice which Chase laughed off.

I rolled my eyes involuntary-a reaction that chase always got from me-and stood up before walking towards him.

"Oh hey Li-" he began to say before I aggressively snatched the wallet from him with a cold look.

"Piss off." I cut him off abruptly and handed the girl her wallet back and then got down on my knees and began to pick up the stuff from the floor.

"Oh look, it's Lilith. She's come to save the day!" Chase mocked before walking away.

"You better fuck off Chase. I don't want to see you messing with her again!" I called after him but he simply flipped me the finger carelessly without even turning around.

"Sorry about them." I murmured without looking up knowing the girl was next to me now picking up her coins.

"It's okay, I'm used to assholes like him. Thanks by the way, that was really cool of you."

"Yeah-no problem." I said handing her the last of the coins.

Then the bell rang and I remembered I hadn't eaten anything so I walked over to my table, threw out the uneaten food and headed for class.

"Wait, hold up!"  I stop mid step to look behind my shoulder at the girl in black who walked towards me in a hurry.

"Lacey." She said, when she reached me.

"Lilith." I replied and then we both walked off to class which coincidentally was the same room number.

***

"Dude, you drive like a maniac." Lacey commented.

"Thanks." I replied as I got out of the drivers seat and grabbed my book bag form the back seat. Lacey did the same and followed me inside but not before stoping to admire something.

"Wow," she said in with blue eyes that looked at my house. Then she directed them to me,"So I take your parents are crazy rich?" She added and continued walking.

I cocked an eyebrow, my house was nothing compared to the other kids who went to our schools.

"I mean probably not as nice as your house, I mean my dad picked out this house but left it to my mom in the divorce and she hasn't really cared to do renovations and all that good stuff-"

"Yeah- I live in an apartment." She abruptly caught me off guard as she walked inside admiring the interior.

I didn't think much of it and began to walk upstairs,"I'll have Maria bring us something to eat. You can put your  things over there." I pointed to my a small couch besides my bedroom window.

"Cool." She said and dropped her baggage on it and then walked over to me except she got distracted by something on the wall.

"Oh who's this cute dude?" She says as she picks up a Polaroid picture from the picture board.

"My best friend." I say without even looking up already knowing who she's talking about. 

"He's quite the hotty, you should introduce me to him." I can hear the smile from her words.

I let a second pass, and then another one before looking up.

"I can't." Her face contorts into that of confusion,"He died." I finish off my sentence and quickly look down smiling a sad smile.

"Oh."

"Yeah." I reply suddenly really interested in the pattern on my bedsheets.

"You're that girl..." She wonders off.

"Huh?" I look up at her.

"Nothing." She quickly says and looks away picking putting the picture back.

"No, you said something. What was it?"

"Nothing, I mean. I already know. What happened I mean.  I overheard someone talking about it. Actually, everyone still talks about it. I mean I'm the new kid and even I know. I just didn't know it was you-"

"Can we talk about something else?" I cut her off, as I look back up at her my eyes a steel blue.

"Sorry." She murmurs looking at a new picture,"So you like Purity Ring huh?" She says as she picks up a concert ticket from the wall.

"Yeah..."

****

Sorry about the late update. I'm going through a lot of emotional shit  right now.  I'm depressed.