Eighteen

I  stared at the man for a second or two. My mind racing with words. I couldn't string any words together so I just stood there with blue, sky eyes staring at the tall man dressed in a leather jacket and dark denim blue jeans.

"May I come in?" He asked, this time speaking slowly and clearly as if he were talking to a small child.

I shook my head quickly, trying to grasp his words.

"Um yeah, I'm Lilith." I said as I stepped aside allowing him in. He took a step inside looking cautiously around as he slipped his badge back inside his jacket.

I led him to the living room and offered him a seat on one of my leather sofas. I sat across from him eyeing him. He seemed very young-mid twenties- had thick brown locks paired with dark brown Latin eyes that wore a very dark, and serious look.

"Miss Gray, I'm here because of the events that have taken place in the last
couple of months involving the Goldwaters. "My heart clenched in pain at the mention of that last name. "I have reason to believe this was no mere coincidence. You see," he leaned forward his brown eyes locked with mine-I suddenly felt small and weak under his gaze,"I've been investigating this case for months-no years. I know that you were very good friends with Nate, so I would appreciate if you would cooperate with me. I want to bring his killers down, as well as make Chicago a safer city."

Everything he'd said had just gone out the other ear and I remained still like an idiot with glassy eyes staring at the young man. All I heard was the name 'Nate' and something inside of me had gone numb.

"Miss Gray?"

I snapped out of trance,"N-nate?" I murmured meeting his gaze.

"I want to ask you a couple of questions about Nate. Is that okay with you?" He asked, but took out a small notepad and a sleek black pen anyways.

I felt my insides churn up and words rose up my throat fueled by anger," I don't  want to talk about it, please leave."

"Miss Gray, I understand this is a very touchy subject for you, but if you cooperate we can-"

"Please leave. I'm not interested." I back lashed  standing up and walking towards the door.

I threw it open and stood by it waiting for him to follow but he remained seated with his back to me. I heard him heavily sigh and after a second or two he stood up and followed me back to the door. His expression changed from professional cool black to a slightly angry one.

"If you change your mind, give me a call back." He handed me his card then I watched as he walked out to my driveway and boarded a sleek black motorcycle that he rode out into the distance until I couldn't see him anymore.

I looked down at the card.

A tear escaped and landed on it soaking up the paper.

Sorry Nate.

****