Twenty-Seven

Thanks for the read, comment & vote. Thank you. X
~~~

*5 months later*

"You're breaking up with me?" I could hear the confusion in my own voice.

"Lilith, I can't do this anymore-"

"What why?"

"Listen!" She tugged her ripped jean jacket tighter and licked her plump lips, "this relationship isn't working out. It's distracting me from my school work...It's effecting my grades and I need to keep a high gpa in order to keep going here-I need to! You don't understand. "

"Wait what? That's it? I mean, if it's too much I can help you study-"

"That's not just it Lilith. " she looked down at the floor, her eyes with sorrow,"I'm tired of being your rebound." She looked up at me when she said rebound.

"Rebound?!" I cocked and eyebrow, "You are definitely not my rebound!"

"But I am! And you know it. You're not over him. And don't you even dare lie to me, because you know it's true. You've never been. Look," she stepped closer to me,"it was cute while it lasted but I can't keep doing this anymore. We'll always be friends, but only friends." She zipped her book bag closed and straddled it tightly over her back,"I got to get to class, see you at lunch." She muttered and walked off to class as I watched glassy eyed with a slightly opened mouth.

So not true.

I walked into the the bathroom and looked at myself in the mirror," I am over him." I murmured to my own reflection as I played with my hair, "If I wasn't would have I dated someone else for five freaking months?" I put my hair in a ponytail and when I was done I took a deep breath,"Whatever, I don't have to convince anyone, I know I am." I grabbed my book bag from the floor and walked off to my next class.

***

After school was over, I waited for Lacey in my car-I usually drove her home, but then she ended up texting me she was staying after to study for a final and that she would take the city bus so I went off on my own.

As I drove down the busy streets of Chicago, I couldn't help but to reminisce on my life. Look at me, I was weeks away from graduation, had put an end to my bad vices, and had even been accepted at University of Illinois at Chicago. I could barely believe it. I was growing up. So much had changed, for the better and yet, why did I feel so lonely? Like I had no one to share this with. I mean, Lacey and I had jumped up and down when my letter of acceptance had arrived, but Lacey was going away to University Of Illinois and I probably wouldn't see her much.

Dad had visited me last week. It was surreal. He looked different. Nothing has really changed, actually. He was still the tall dark brooding man, but this time their was a sense of happiness in his eyes and that's when he told me he was getting married. Her name was Janice, and she seemed to actually like my dad for who he was rather than for his money. He seemed happy. I wanted to be that happy. I really did. But the happiness that brooded in his eyes, didn't reach mine and I became jealous. And sad. Mostly sad. Because I wasn't the root of that happiness. Because he was my dad, but he wasn't. I wanted that over protective dad that would help me
out with projects, beat boys up for me, and call me his baby girl. Like he used to. When I was twelve.

He left the same day he arrived.

Mom was away at her annual rehabilitation trip. She was gone for a month, and today marked exactly one week since she'd left. But her absence wasn't really noticeable. Just the very few glimpses of her here an there drinking fruity beverages while wearing deep red, expensive lipstick here and and there. So it had just been me and Maria.

Maria was nice. But she was not my mother. She was not my parent. She was a friend, maybe. I tried talking to her and explaining to her how big of deal going to UIC was to me, but she kept asking questions about college and tuition and about how she could get her children to go to college too. I didn't mind helping her, but after a while it sort of took the joy away and I felt like a counselor answering questions left and right, and that special feeling went away because at the end of the day Maria was not my mother and even tho she seemed to care for me, I doubt she loves me more than her own children. At the end of the day, I was truly alone, and it sucked.

The week before, I'd gone to go visit Nate's grave. I talked to him for a little, but then I felt cheesy and embarrassed so I stopped. I cleaned his grave off the dry red roses and added new ones.

After that, I'd gone home and cried.

And now here I was in my car feeling invisible. If I disappeared would anyone notice? Besides Lacey and Maria. My ex girlfriend and my maid. That was sad. They would be the only ones to notice. Dad would be off on his honey moon trip, and mom at rehab.

I felt so empty and depressed. But I had a small hope of light. Maybe, after I left this place and went off to college I could start all over. No one would know who I am. I wouldn't be forced to live with a mother who cared more about her Botox appointments than me. Because in college no one had parents. It was just us. Growing up and becoming adults.

I realized I was home. I parked my car and took the keys of the ignition. I grabbed my book bag and swung it over my shoulder and turned the corner to the front entrance of my house only to see a sleek car parked out in front.

Strange.

I hurried and came to an abrupt stop as I saw a tall man standing outside my front door with his back to me.

He turned around.

"Um, detective Wolf? What are you doing here?" I asked the young man who had a very serious look on his face.

"I have knew information on the woman whose been stalking you."

My eyes grew wide,"Scarlet? What happened. What did she do-?"

"I'll tell you about it in the car, there's something I need to show you. " he said in matter of hurry type of way as he put his sunglasses on, and walked over to the sleek black car. I wonder what happened to that shiny black motorcycle of his, and followed him inside.

I got inside the passenger seat, and dropped my book bag on the car floor. Detective Wolf slipped into the drivers seat and started the engine. I looked up at the second story window, where Maria was peeping her tiny head  through the window. I smiled and waved at her as we pulled away from the driveway. We stopped at the opened gate briefly as Detective Wolf looked from left to right looking for any oncoming traffic. I reached over to buckle my seat, "What is it that you have to show me again?" I said, the seatbelt clicking into place.

"Well it's not necessarily something I'm going to show you. More like you will be showing me something-or should I say someone."

I looked up from the seat belt and turned to look at him with confusion, but instead of him saw nothing but white coming for me. I meant to scream, as something overwhelmed me. My  face, my mouth, my nose. But there was no fight in me, and I drowned into the abyss of darkness. I lost myself, and my consciousness...

***
To be continued...

What you think?? Let me know in the comment section. Thanks for the support. X