Twenty-four

This one's a sick chapter ;) I promise

***

I stand motionless as the world crumbles around me. And it's painful, so I close my eyes and pretend that it's okay, and just for a second it does feel like it is. I forget about it all. The shade of those green eyes as they fade to a dark oblivion: the life draining from them. That face muddled becoming nonexistent. I wanted a happy ending. But what was a happy ending for me? What did I want? And what was I supposed to do to get that happy ending? Was I supposed to hold on, or let go? I opened my eyes, bliss around me shattering and I realized that I couldn't pretend anymore.

***

I was supposed to go dress shopping with Lacey, but I was still worried about that psycho bitch Scarlet. I had also been worried about Lacey's reaction to this whole thing. I didn't want to get more people winded up in my web of terror, but in this case it couldn't have been avoided. How else was I supposed to explain to her the detective following us? But then again, Lacey was different from them. There was something about her that was so inviting. And whether I liked to admit it or not, I for once began to see hope for hopeless little Lilith. Besides, she knew somewhat the truth of what had really happened. But even so, I told myself to be careful and not to get too close to the fire. Even if that fire was bright and warm and inviting.

Besides, Holding on made things worse. I had to say goodbye.

***

"No, but dude, you should totally go to prom with me! We'll be like the coolest duo. Fuck every one else, and we'll totally work the dance floor." Lacey laid next to me in bed as we listened to Ed Sheeran. It had been like this for the past two weeks. She'd come over to my house every single school day and we'd hang in our room and talk and it almost made me feel normal.

"No- Prom's not my thing." I quickly shot down the idea without giving it a single thought.

"Why not? Don't be lame, you think prom is my thing? It's not, especially if its going to be full of stuck up rich girls in their thousand dollar dresses." I gave Lacey a dry look, yep. Prom was certainly not her thing to say the very least. Skateparks, smoking, rock and black nail polish was her thing with her ripped jean jacket, doc martens and cigarettes in left breast pocket. Lacey screamed everything that was the opposite of where she was now. She was a black little sheep among the rich in our school. Actually, she was on a scholar ship, in reality, she couldn't afford tuition. Her dad was simple landscaper and her mom worked at a bakery. Nothing upscale about that. But Lacey had quite a brain. A beautiful brain that loved and cared for everything in this planet. I had never met someone so accepting and non judgmental. Well except for our peers, but in her defense they were assholes to her.

"I don't know, what would I even do at Prom?" I asked as I sat up and looked at my dead reflection in the mirror across from me.

Lacey sat up too and looked at my reflection for a second or too. Her eyes dancing under the shadows of my room,"Be normal...For once." And that was her soft response to Cam, to Nate, to everything that had happened. She tucked a strand of hair behind my ear, she understood so well.

With those ocean eyes, she saw it all. The hurt in my eyes, in my voice as I had told her about him-about them.

"Just walk away from it all." She'd said.

So was this walking away from it all? Going to prom and leaving it all behind? Taking up the role of a normal teenager at school? Most kids were worried about what college they were going to go to. I was worried about a Mobster's psychotic daughter and a handsome man with dangerous blue eyes.