Twenty-Eight

When I was little I looked up to Britney Spears so much. I loved her. I remember she had a belly button piercing and I wanted one so badly. I grabbed a pair of nail clippers and tried to pierce my own skin. Now, age eighteen and I had a small little scar on my stomach. I was so dumb. But I loved her. I remember my dad told me that was stupid and laughed as he placed a bandaid on my belly. That was the last time he ever did anything for me.

I woke up.

Confused and dazed. With a blurred mind as I tried to decipher where I was and how I'd gotten here.  The image of a brown haired, handsome man coming for me flickers vividly in my mind.

Wait, why? What was going on? Had detective Wolf really done this? Why? He said he was gonna show me something and next thing I knew I was being knocked out unconscious. My nose suddenly felt numb and swollen. A cool sensation dripped down from underneath my nose hitting my lips and tasting like metal. I automatically moved to touch my nose, but my hands were yanked back, and I realized I was strapped to a chair.

WHAT THE HELL?

This had to be a dream.
Again, why? Why? Why? Why? Did this always  happens to me?

I rolled my eyes,"Alright, detective Wolf or whatever is your real name, come out. I've been through this so many times-really, at this point it's not even scary anymore." I said to the darkness around me.

Just as I finished my sentence, a switch was flipped and the lights went on.  I stood in the middle of a room-a very crowded room. The entire walls were plastered with newspaper clippings and pictures. There was a counter on the left side covered with files, books, a computer and what not.

And in front of me, at the very center of the room-mere inches away from me-stood a tall handsome, brown haired man.

Detective Wolf.

He'd changed into a black v-neck and black sweats. His chest was damp as if from sweating. He looked at me, and I mean really looked at me. Those brown beady eyes piercing through me, "Alright Lilith, you're awake aren't you sweet heart?" He cooed and leaned down, so his face was inches away from mine, "Now, mind telling me where this... " He pulled out a folded paper from his pocket and held it in front of me,"...man is?"

It wasn't a regular piece of paper.
It was a picture.
A picture of Cam.

***

"Maria! MARIA!!!" I knocked on the door for the fifth time, my palms red and my voice hoarse.

Maria finally came to the door, her hair in a wild mess of curls, and she still wore her nightgown. In her hand she held a house phone.

"Is Lilith home?"

Her eyes grew wide with anticipation,"She's not with you? I was afraid of this¡ Jesus Christo, esta niña me va a volver loca!"

"Wait- what do you mean she'll drive you insane, ways going on? She's not home, is she?"

"No, she didn't come home from school yesterday-I mean she did but she got in a shiny black car with someone and I haven't seen her since! I've been calling her all day. It's almost night and is till haven't heard from-"

"Wait a second, you said she got in a black car with someone?"

Maria nodded anxiously.

"Maria, this is bad. Really bad!"

I knew she wasn't ignoring my calls. Something was up, Lilith wasn't the one to act petty after what happened with us. I have to go get help! I had to call the police-wait no. Not the police, I had to call that detective. What if that blonde woman was behind l this? Lilith was in danger, I had to act fast. Shit- what was the phone number of that detective again?

FUCK! I didn't know it.

I had to contact Andrew.

I took my phone out and scrolled through my contacts until I found the name I was searching for.

They answered on the first ring.

"Andrew?"

"Lacey! What's up-"

"Shut up, no time to talk. Can I come over? I need you to do something for me, I'll pay you."

"Um sure, what's the problem?"

"My friend's in danger, be there in ten." I hung up and looked at Maria.

"I got this, don't worry. I'll get Lilith back, I promise. Don't do anything for now, I'll call you if I need anything. "

"Are you sure? Should I call police? I can't just do nothing-!"

"I know, I know! You're worried, but I promise, I got this. Maria, I swear I'll bring Lilith back. No matter what. "

I didn't bother hearing her reply, as I turned around and dropped my skateboard on the floor.

I'm coming to help you Lilith. Just hold on a little longer.

***

"What's this big urgent thing you needed me to do for you?" Andrew, was a tall skinny boy, with indifferent brown eyes and curly brown hair. He was also my older stepbrother, and the best hacker ever.

"I need you to hack a friend of mines phone. I need to look through her contacts."

"Ughhhh" he dropped his hands out of his pockets and let his head fall back as he stared at the ceiling and let out and exaggerated sigh,"Lacey, I told you a thousands times I refuse to hack you friends for personal evilness."

"This isn't me being stalkerish okay, this is me helping out my friend who could be in a big trouble. Her life's in danger, okay?" I dropped my bag on the floor and walked over to his computer. He rolled his eyes and followed me,"Okay, I'll help you." He said and slumped down on his seat behind the computer."

I didn't know if this would work, but I had to try. I felt like this was the best thing to do right now, since detective Wolf had more information on the blonde woman than the police.

Andrew got to work quickly, he was a first class hacker, one of the best and was able to hack Lilith's phone easily.

It a matter of minutes we were able to find Detective Wolf's name in her contacts. I quickly pulled out my phone and dialed the number. I tapped my fingers anxiously against the table's surface only to let out an exasperated swear afterwords.

"FUCK!"

I yelled slamming my phone on the table, hopefully not too hard.

"No answer?" Andrew guessed.

"Yeah." I replied defeated. Why did he give her his number if he wasn't gonna answer! I dialed the number multiple times after that, each time sending me to voicemail and on the last try the call went straight to voicemail. Was he...ignoring me?

I guess I had to call the cops, but who knows how long until they would find her. Did Lilith have time? Would they find her in time, before something bad happened to her?

It was then that a very dangerous and unthinkable idea muddled itself into my brain.

"Wait, let's try another number." I murmured and inched closer to the screen.

Andrew scrolled down the screen and I almost laughed at what I saw.

She still loves him. She was such a liar. If not, why had she not bothered to delete his phone number?

I dialed the number, and waited anxiously.

"Hello?" A silver like deep voice answered.

It was him.
****