S u b m i s s i v e

S o n g : B r o t h e r D o w n - S a m R o b e r t s

C h a p t e r XL
V i r i d i a n

Something was wrong.

Something was wrong with me. My body was restless, overwhelmed with a sudden energy that seemed to be bursting out of me. With each passing second, my body trembled and shook from the coursing adrenaline in my veins. My eyes flickered around the dark forest trying to find the culprit of my state. What was this?

My eyes gazed hard into the abyss of the trees, watching as the darkness visibly spread deeper and deeper. The only thought running through my mind being what was causing this overpowering suffocation of power inside of me. It was like nothing I'd ever experienced. My clenched hands were practically vibrating as I finally noticed the dark figure coming forward. His presence... It was so powerful. His aura alone was so dominating I was practically stunned into submission.

At a loss of what to do in such a pitiful state, I helplessly watched as a lengthy guy, seemingly not much older than I -if looks at all counted in my world-, came into view. His dark, midnight coloured eyes stood out from his hardly sun-kissed skin and long brown locks. He had pushed back his hair lazily into an elastic, letting wavy strands fall into his shadowy face. His clothes were disheveled and out of date, like he had just woken up from a century long sleep. There was no doubt, this man was a Vampire -and a powerful one at that.

His uninterested eyes flickered past me, "So, you're the one they call Vir-" At once his deep purring voice noticeably failed as he inhaled sharply. His eyes went back to me, now wide and seemingly terrified as he finally looked at me. "It cannot be..." He spoke to himself, his hands beginning to shake as mine were.

Suddenly, an orange little fox uncharacteristically passed close by, capturing my attention as she ran right to Kenna-

"Sh*t, Kenna!" I hissed out, my thoughts instantly screaming at me for my carelessness. My chest painfully tightened as I turned to find her slumped in the dying grass illuminated by the emerald flames consuming her tiny body.

The little fox bit into her sweater over her shoulder in a flash, seemingly trying to pull her back into my yard. Its beady eyes stared at me, as if begging for my help. Without a second longer of hesitation, I scooped the unconscious girl up into my arms, pressing my cool lips onto her forehead in relief as she subconsciously pulled herself closer to me.

Knowing she was safe, I spun back around to face the intruder -it was beyond dangerous of me to turn my back to him. However, his eyes were lost as he seemed to be drowned in his own thoughts.

"Who are you?" My voice came out as a low growl, my protectiveness sparking as I held Kenna's warm fragile body. My fangs protruded, snarling at the unknown vampire before me.

The sound snapped his head up, something painful crossing his expression, "You don't remember me?" He mumbled in disbelief.

My eyebrows pinched together as my teeth grounded in my mouth. There was no doubt in my mind; I had never seen him before in this very long life of mine. Vampires had memories like elephants: we never forgot anyone's face. And yet my entire body was reacting as if him and I were connected by fate itself some way. The power passing between us was rolling around in thick waves that only grew stronger the longer I stood there. It was intoxicating feeling my body fill with such strength and energy --like I could do anything. And yet, next to his magnificent field of power, I had no hope of winning a fight with him.