D a r k n e s s

S o n g : A n g e l a - T h e L u m i n e e r s

C h a p t e r XXXIX
K e n a d i a

"Wait, Kenna." Viridian tugged anxiously at my cropped sweater as I took a step back from him.

I shook my head, biting my lip as I tried not to think about the pain that awaited me once I stepped into the forest.

The handsome vampires viridian coloured eyes watched me carefully with a spark of fear and doubt inside of them. His eyebrows furrowed as he pulled me softly into him, his forehead resting onto mine defeatedly, "I don't want you to do this." He whispered, "I change my mind. Don't go."

I closed my eyes, basking in the comfort of his strong arms. "No you don't." I responded with an exhale as I once again moved back from him, opening up my eyes again. "Even if you did, I didn't change mine. It makes no difference." My eyes gazed into his determinedly, "I need to know what's happening to me. I've lost so much already." Clenching my fists, I took a deep breath to calm my sudden unnerving thoughts. "I know I haven't known this part of myself for very long... but I can't lose it. It's the only thing I have left." My fingers traced along the fading swirls on the back of my hand. They felt like they were tattooed to my very soul -if they were erased I was afraid all that would be left would be an empty shell.

Viridian's cold hands suddenly held the sides of my face, capturing my attention, "Okay." He nodded with a grimace, "It's going to work. We're going to make sure you don't lose anything else." He slowly leaned down and touched his soft lips to mine, sending courage to my frightened overwhelming thoughts.

I smiled encouragingly as we parted, hoping I could return the favour. Taking hold of his strong hand, I brought us to the back of the house where the green room was waiting and filled to the brim with greenery. While I was too depressed to do much of anything, Viridian dressed the large glass room up with all types of flowers and plants; trying to help ease the hurt of losing my forest. The once empty space was now bursting at its seams with nature of all sorts. I loved it dearly. It was one of the sweetest things anyone had ever done for me... and it was done by the weird and stuck-up and annoying vampire that was beside me.

Feeling my chest squeeze by the memory, I leaned subconsciously into Viridian's side. He kissed my head softly before we stepped out into the large yard of short yet untamed grass. The sun beamed down through the few clouds in the sky making me inhale the sunlight and fresh air deeply. I loved Viridian's place, it was so grand and magical. Yet at the same time, it felt so cozy and warm. I even grew to adore how dark it was in most rooms. It made everything feel more intimate and safe.

"You can turn back. It's okay." Viridian interrupted my bumbling brain as we stood frozen just at the edge of the forest.

My feet were planted to the ground as my heart hammered violently inside my chest. Tears pricked at my eyes as I remembered the agonizing pain. Viridian smoothed out my shaking hand, bringing it to his lips as he kissed it.

"I-I have to." I said without any volume as I stared into the surprisingly dark forest.

I was sure the forest had never been so sinisterly --everything about it was causing my breath to hitch in fear. The branches were twisted as the once green leaves were all dark browns, oranges, and reds: the indication of fall. Only, I had seen the forest in fall numerous of times and it had looked nothing like this. It was like everything was rotting in darkness. Evil seemed to be seeping out of the once living greenery, bringing a blackened rot to everything it touched.

My eyebrows furrowed in concern, my fear no longer for myself but for my beloved friend that had been by my side longer than I could remember. "What's happening to you?" I breathed out, stepping into the forest without a thought as I slipped my hand out of Viridian's hold.

The emerald flames were weaker than before, as if the forest was too tired to do any real damage. I hissed through the burning pain, resting my hand on one of the large twisting trunks that had an aura of eeriness.

"What's wrong?" I shook my head, falling to my knees in front of the surely once beautiful and lively tree. "Please, let me fix you." My voice whimpered out as the pain kept burning my body at a steady rate; slowly but surely bringing agony to my soul the longer I stayed in the forests grasp. "I can protect you. I can take the darkness away." The words tumbled out of my trembling lips, somehow knowing it was the truth. It was what I was made for --protecting the forest from the darkness that was now devouring it. "I won't leave you like this. I can't."

Viridian appeared before me, his eyes watching the forest intently. Something was wrong, I could see it in his serious expression. His bright eyes narrowed while his brows pushed together. His lips hooked up into a warning snarl just as he snapped his head towards the deep darkness within the forest.

"Viridian," I mumbled, my body growing exhausted as the flames ate away at my life force. "What's happening?" My voice gasped out. I suddenly let out a weak cry just as my burning body fell in on itself, my hands and knees barely holding my shaking body up as I stubbornly kept my other hand on the tree trunk.

It may not have been as agonizing as before, but it was still doing the job. If I stayed there, the forest was going to drain every last ounce of energy and life inside of me. But I couldn't move, even if I wanted to. My body was too tired. How pathetic, I lasted only a few minutes.

Viridian was occupied as his eyes flashed around the forest, trying to catch sight of something I couldn't see or even sense. Instead, I finally collapsed into the dying moss and grass, the vibrant green flames seeming to slightly die down as I did.

"I'm sorry." I whispered painfully, my eyes slowly shutting as my breath slowed, "I'm sorry I...I couldn't... protect..."

†⚜†

Oh no. I'm not killing her again am I? Heck if I know!
Viridian snap out of it and save Kenna!!