M a s t e r p i e c e

S o n g : 1 0 0 0 0 E m e r a l d P o o l s - B Ø R N S ( T h e Y o u n g P r o f e s s i o n a l s R e m i x )

C h a p t e r XIII
V i r i d i a n

I released a low dangerous growl at her, warning her to quit being such a little...monster. "My name isn't Dick." I watched her angrily, her face was flushed and her hazel eyes were clouded.

She stared right back unflinchingly, "Really? I'm sorry, I could have sworn it was-"

Kenna's face suddenly morphed into the very image of someone in pain. Her eyes squeezed shut before she desperately pressed her palms into her eyes, clearly trying to push back the abrupt pressure.

I swore under my breath, bringing her into my chest without thought as my blood ran icily through my veins. "When did you start getting the headaches, Kenna?" I asked coldly, my jaw clenched as I already knew the answer.

I pressed the back of my cold hand onto her cheek and noticed right away that she was burning up like the sun itself.

She leaned wearily into me, "Like Saturday morning or something. Steph asked me where I was and my head did this but not as bad." Her words turned into small whimpers, running her hands down her face before clutching onto the material on my stomach and pulling herself closer to me. She rested her head against my chest, her tiny body beginning to tremble.

If a human had been compelled too many times (and a human could take a f*cking lot), when they saw or heard something that clashed with their real memory, they began to remember everything they'd ever forgotten. Or at least bits and pieces of memories they'd been compelled to forget. It was a long process that was excruciating and once it started there was no stopping it. In other words; it would only get worse for Kenna from here on out.

No wonder it was so bloody hard to get into her head.

Somebody was already in it and left no damn room.

"Come on." I wrapped an arm around her back and knees, cradling her as I walked us away from the school. A permanent scowl was on my face as I held back my enraged sneer.

What did this girl witness? Who compelled her so many f*cking times?

What had I done to her?

†⚜†

My eyes swept concernedly over the tiny girl who had laid her head down on my lap, "Kenna," I sighed helplessly as she held my cold hand to her head while crying softly. She didn't deserve this pain.

Miguel was wordlessly judging me from a distance; his eyebrows in a pinch as he shook his head. He knew what was happening to her. We had seen plenty of humans back at home taken to us when this began to happen; they weren't brought to us to bring them back to health. The story was always the same; a vampire grew too attached to a human and in order to keep that human safe, the vampire compelled away the memories. Until it was finally too much.

Once a human broke free from the power of compulsion, it no longer worked on them... And humans weren't allowed to remember. It was our number one rule between all the creatures of the night. We had to eradicate the problem before it became one.

Kenna would know everything. I knew I needed to cut our loses to protect the sacredness of our world.

But I couldn't. I wouldn't. She didn't deserve it.

"My Lord," Miguel flashed over, standing directly behind the couch Kenna and I were on as he itched his hands towards her fragile little neck. "Let me put her out of her-"

A loud warning hiss suddenly escaped from deep within me like a whip as I bared my fangs at him in a snarl. "Don't-" I growled dangerously, "-touch her." My flaming eyes glared at him, daring him to try it again.

He backed away, a scowl on his face as he turned away from us and left the room disapprovingly.

My fangs automatically turned back into normal teeth as I leaned my forehead onto hers, "I'm sorry, Kenna." I shook my head, it was all my fault. If I hadn't had lost control I wouldn't have had to compel her to forget. She would have stayed safe and she wouldn't have to go through this pain. "What do I do with you?" I groaned, feeling conflicted.

The king-to-be in me wanted to just snap her neck and get it over with. The curiosity in me wanted to figure out once and for all what it was she hid in that intriguing little mind of hers -and then snap her neck and get over it.

But there was another want. It was a part of me I didn't have a name for. But it drowned out my other wants until they were mere whispers in the back of my mind. It wanted me to protect her -to keep her alive. And it made me hurt with the thought of her just...gone.

She wasn't just another piece of art, she was a masterpiece -and I had to protect her. I had to keep her in perfect condition, no matter what.

†⚜†

(Love love love that remix) Picture of the 'den' (living room) again, with darker curtains ;) So uhhhhh PLOT TWIST (for real this time) AND VIRI IS SO CUTE PROTECTING HER.
Hopes yous ares enjoyings it. Xx