S c a r e d

S o n g : C l o s e - N i c k J o n a s

C h a p t e r XLVI
K e n a d i a

I had only seen Viridian mad at me one other time since I met him and that was when he had first bumped into me and even then I think he was more annoyed than angry. But I didn't like it. Not then and certainly not now; he was scary. And not only that, but this time I felt my chest ache as he violently ripped his hand away from mine; his normally bright eyes clouded and dark with rage as he snapped. It was like a slap in the face.

I knew he was rightfully mad. I mean I got it. I let a strange Vampire in whom Viridian previously told me was an enemy. It was beyond stupid of me... I didn't quite understand it myself. When Obsidian suddenly appeared, my first instinct was to run the other way --the guy completely overwhelmed my senses in terror. But then he apologized for intruding and asked if Viridian was around. Maybe it was the way he seemed to be so sincere, but I just knew he had no ill intensions in that moment so I pushed my fear to the side. Saffron had the same inexplicable feeling as if it were some type of Akasha premonition. So we listened to it instead of- well, I'm not sure what we could have done besides running and getting caught or fighting and losing. Even I could sense how powerful he was.

Besides, it was actually kind of sweet the way he deflated when he realized Viridian wasn't there and made an excuse to wait around for him. It was like he just wanted that old friend of his back, even if it wasn't actually him.

"Hey, don't worry about it." Saffron nudged me as we sat on my bed -she was colouring while I drew. "He'll come around sooner than later." She smiled encouragingly before turning back to the red pencil crayon in her hand.

How could I have not worried? Viridian hadn't said a word to me since he ran off to go cool down. Sure, he stayed within range of the house -he sat down in the grass behind the house and pouted melodramatically actually- but he couldn't even look at me. It had been hours and still, not a single glance... even when I sat out there literally not even an inch away from him. He was so cold and distant, and more so than the usual coldness of his.

With a frustrated groan I pressed the lead hard into my paper and scribbled all over Viridian's dumb angry face. "Stupid." I muttered to myself, ripping the destroyed drawing out of the spiralled pad of paper that -of course- the same boy had bought me. Sighing, I placed my pencil down on the silver and purple comforter, "I'll be right back." I glanced at Saffron who was colouring away at one of the pictures I drew for her --it was a picture of her as a butterfly.

She threw me a good-luck glance as I hopped off the fluffy mattress and left the large princess-like deep-purple room. (Apparently it was supposed to be his sisters room whenever she was supposed to come live with him.) I shuffled down the hall in my pyjamas, trailing my hand on the fascinating textured wall as I counted the rooms I passed. I hesitated at door number six, my hand on the knob as I frowned sadly. My head fell softly into the black door, closing my eyes to stop feeling so ridiculously nervous. It was just Viridian.

But he was angry at me. Maybe I should have just left him alone; it was the least I could do after everything he had done for me. I mean, everything I currently had was thanks to him. He cooked for me, bought me all types of things, helped me try to sort my impossible life out, kissed me and put up with my stubbornness, and he was always around when I wanted to rant about my problems. If he wanted some space, who was I to-

"Are you gonna come in, Kenna? Or are you just going to stand out there and sigh?" His lovely sarcastic voice said through the door just before he opened it himself. His beautiful viridian coloured eyes captured mine instantly as he stood there in all of his muscled shirtless glory.