Chapter Twenty-one - The Last Few Touches

Drinks and table arrangements, that was what was being taken care of today. Luciano and you had decided that you would take care of drinks first to get it out of the way. The two of you were already seated in the dining hall since you insisted upon eating in there rather than your shared bedroom. All you two had to do was wait for the contender to show up. You were practically almost asleep again with your face resting on your arms, which you had crossed on the table to make a pillow of sorts. That was when a man burst into the room. Maybe "burst" is a very large overstatement in this case. It was rather that he opened the one door lazily and closed it behind him with a soft thud. You wouldn't have even known that the man had entered if it had not been for Luciano tapping you on your shoulder. You sat up slowly, a small strand of drool beginning to drip down the corner of your mouth. Luciano grabbed your napkin and wiped it away swiftly.

        "Thanks," you muttered sleepily.

        "No problem," he whispered in your ear before placing a soft kiss to your temple.

        Your gaze adverted itself for the table to the new addition to the room. The man seemed older than most vampires you had seen so far. He looked to be about twenty-five or so in human years. His hair was a platinum blondish color and was around shoulder length. His expression showed boredom and indifference. His attire consisted of a purple button down shirt, tan dress pants, and brown loafers. The shirt and pants looked to be nicely pressed, but he didn't seem like the kind of man to waste his time on ironing his clothing. Perhaps a maid or his wife did it for him. He looked oddly familiar to you though. He kind of resembled Matt in a way, or Matt resembled him since, like mentioned before, he seemed to be older than most vampires. He walked up to the two of you, Luciano standing immediately to greet him with you following suit shortly after.

        "It is great to see you again François," Luciano said while shaking the other man's hand.

        "Likewise. This is your fiancée, oui?"

        Ah, so he was French. His name rung a bell in your head. Matt said he was French-Canadian, and you knew that his mother was not in any way French. You remembered her mentioning Matt's father once, but couldn't remember his name. Well, there was only one way to find out. You had to ask him.

        "Yes, this is (y/n)."

        "It's a pleasure to meet you," you said.

        He took your hand in his and brought it up to his lips, only to leave a kiss on your knuckles. You blushed and cleared your throat a bit.

        "I don't mean to be rude or offend you when asking this, but are you by any chance Matt's father?"

        "Oui, vous connaissez mon Matthieu?"

        "Pardon me?"

        "I said yes. You know my Matthieu?"

        "Yes, him and I have been best friends since we were young."

        "Hm, I recall him talking about you when he first arrived here. He said he was attempting to teach you French before he left. C'est vrai?"

        "Oui, c'est vrai mais je ne sais pas la parler bien."

        "You sound like you can speak it fairly well. It's good enough to get you by in France if you would ever decide to go I suppose."

        "Thank you."

        "Alright, I think we should get down to business François. We have a very busy day ahead of us," Luciano butted in.

        "Ouais, ouais. I'll go get the stuff."