Chapter Six - An Old Friend

~SLIGHT DESCRIPTION OF BLOOD AND GORE - Just warning you ahead of time.~

You hadn't stopped running since you left the castle. You figured that you had put enough distance between you and that retched place, so you decided to take a break once you found a good place to stop. A small clearing in the forest opened up to you after a few more minutes of running. It was beautiful to say the least. A waterfall cascaded down the side of a mountain that you had made you way towards. The water ran into a wide river that had white froth where the waters collided. On either side of the river were large flower patches containing multiple species of brightly colored flowers. There fragrances blended, giving the area a sweet and pleasant scent. A rock, about the size that a fully grown male bear could sun bath on, sat near the waterfall and one of the flower patches on the left side of the river. A stepping stone path that led from one side of the river to the other aided you to get to it.

You sat down on it so you could rest your sore feet and have your labored breathing return to normal. Sleep eventually took over your thoughts. The sun, which you could see slightly peaking up over the trees, told you that you had been awake for about seventeen hours or so. The adrenaline rush you had was beginning to wear off rapidly. Your eyelids slowly closed as you fell into sleep's ever loving embrace.

Little did you know that The Hunter had already tracked you down and was watching you from the shady canopy of a tree that hung over the rock. He decided to let you rest for the time being. What was the rush? He didn't need to have you back at the castle until later when the prince was awake. Plus, he liked how nice the weather was. He savored the time he had away from the castle. It was always loud and busy there, but here it was quiet and calm. The Hunter took the time he had now to reflect on his past life, cleaning his weapons as he did so.

~Time Skip~

A stray ray of sunlight hit your closed eyes, causing you to awake. You noticed the sun setting through the tree trunks of the forest. You sighed as you got up, finding that you had kicked off the red flats that you had wore in your sleep.

"I better get a move on now if I want to have any chance at surviving the night," you said as you slipped one shoe on.

A low growl sounded from the bushes in front of you. You raised and elegant brow in the direction of the noise. With the other red flat in hand, you cautiously walked up to the bushes. You were about to throw your shoe into it to force whatever creature lurked there out but stopped when the bushes commenced to shake. You backed up a few paces out of slight panic. A small cream colored rabbit hopped out of the green shrubbery, twitching its nose cutely. You gave a short laugh of disbelief.

"I was scared of a tiny rabbit. Ha! Hey there little guy," you said crouching down to the animal's level. "What's a cute bunny like you doing out here all alo-"

You didn't have time to finish the sentence as a large, furry, white paw emerged from the bushes and landed harshly on top of the rabbit. It gave a short squeak of distress before it was dragged into the foliage, the force of the paw on it causing its neck to snap like a twig. You held in a scream as a bear stood on its hind legs with the rabbit dangling limply from into mouth. It tossed the rabbit, whose fur was now stained red with its own blood, into the air and back into its mouth. The bear chewed on the corpse, the rabbit's bones crunching as the sharp teeth of the bear broke through its skin and muscle. Your stomach turned at the sight.

After deciding enough was enough, you began to back away slowly as to not notify the bear of your presence. The bear knew you were there though. It stared you down as it continued to devour its small meal. Small strands of blood oozed out of the side of its mouth before it licked them away. The white fluffy creature made its way towards you as you continued to back away. Your back eventually hit trunk of the large tree hanging over the rock you had previously used as a bed. You let out a small squeak at the impact, causing the bear to let another low growl from its blood sodden fur on its muzzle. Without a second thought, you scaled the tree. You stopped on a branch that was high out of the vicious bear's reach. You looked over to the bushes and noticed your other red flat laying a meter or so away from the green mess of leaves. Apparently you had dropped it when you were backing away from the white mass that currently sat staring up at you, a malicious gleam in its eyes as it licked at the blood on its muzzle.