Chapter Thirty-three - Don't Cry

Luciano dashed into the room while (y/m/n) calmly walked in with Karen following closely behind. He stopped a couple feet shy of your bed, his eyes wide with tears beginning to form at the corners. There you were, on a clean hospital bed and wearing fresh light blue hospital gown. Your hair was unkempt with small strands pasted to your forehead from your dried sweat. Two IVs were sticking out of your one arm. One was in your hand feeding you clear fluids and the other was in the juncture between your forearm and upper arm to administer a blood transfusion. You were barely conscious and looked sickly. Your hazy (e/c) eyes fixed themselves on Luciano before offering a very weak smile to him.

        He moved the few feet needed to be at your side and collapsed to his knees ate the bedside. He took your hand in both of his and brought it up to his lips to leave a soft and gentle kiss of the back of it. He hung his head and let the tears flow freely in a river. You noticed his shoulders shaking and finally felt a couple drops of hot liquid hit the skin on your hand. You moved your hand, which he was still holding, to tilt his head up to look at you. He did so slowly, trying to wipe away tears with his slightly blood splattered, long sleeved grey cardigan. Both him and your mother had discarded the scrubs long already, but he still hadn't changed from the baby shower and was caked in dry blood from his head to toe from battling your father. His red v-neck t-shirt had a large blade shaped hole in it from where he had been impaled and showed off a bit of his chest.

        "H-hey..." you said weakly. "Don't c-cry... Please... I-I'm o-okay, really..."

        Luciano thought he had his tears under control, but he was wrong. As soon as those last three words left your mouth, he burst into tears once more. They cascaded down his face in thin, steady streams as he closed his eyes. The room was silent as (y/m/n), Karen, and you watched him cry soundlessly. It broke your heart to see him like this. Over the past few months of your pregnancy, the two of you had become inseparable. Your bond with him had strengthened greatly with every book he shared with you, over every morning the two of you would spend cuddling in bed before drifting off to sleep, and through every night the two of you would spend strolling the expansive gardens of the castle. Seeing him crying because of you hurt more than the worst possible injury.

        "... I almost lost you..." he whispered in between sobs.

        "But you didn't..." you tried to say in a soothing manner.

        "I know," he choked out. "I'm glad I didn't."

        "Remember our wedding vows?"

        "Yes, why do you ask?"

        "I'm sticking to them. I took you as my husband for all of eternity or until death do us part, and I don't plan on letting death take me away from you after only being married for eight months."

        He smiled, his tears beginning to slow down as he started to laugh a bit. "That's my girl."

        He cupped your cheek as he raised to his feet and leaned down. His lips met yours in a tender kiss. You kissed back weakly but with no hesitation. Your handed rested on his unoccupied hand on the bed. Karen decided that now would be a good time to finish the routine newborn check up on your son that the fourth nurse who had initially been in the room had started. She called one of the other nurses, Louise, to come and stay in the room until she came back. Louise was there in no time and took over Karen's duties of monitoring your vitals from afar to give you and your family some space.

        Your mother walked over as you and Luciano split for you to breath. He backed up a bit to allow her some time up close with you like he had. She took the hand that had been holding Luciano's only moments ago into her own. It was colder than when you last held it, much colder. You looked up into her eyes and saw them flash a brighter color than they were. It finally clicked in your brain.