Chapter Three - Meeting

Gilen led you through a number or corridors that seemed to be endless. All of them seemed to have red wall paper on them with designs of gold etched on it. Every so often a marble column would appear attached to the wall to break up all of the red and gold. Even though much of what you assumed to be a moderately sized castle was red in one way or another, and you had to admit that whoever designed or remodeled the castle had some amazing skills.

        You stopped at a peculiar painting that you almost completely passed. From what you could tell, it was an old oil painting of an older man and two younger boys. The oldest male had dark auburn colored hair that was wavy yet curly at the same time. His hair wasn't terribly long or too short. His eyes were a reddish grey color but seemed to still have a gleam to them. His face was well chiseled, and his lips were pursed. To the man's right stood a boy with blond hair. He seemed to have an odd curl that stuck out to the right of him. His eyes were also a reddish grey color. On the other side of the man was the other boy. His hair was an auburn color like the elder male's hair, but it had more of a dark red color compared to the adult's hair, which now seemed to have a slight purple tint to it. The second boy's hair also had a curl, but it went the opposite direction of the other boy's. His eyes were a red color, but they lacked the grey tint the other two males' eyes possessed. Both boys looked to be the same height, so it was hard to tell who was older. The blond one was smiling brightly while the dark red auburn one was frowning.

        Gilen walked back around a corner that he had went around a few minutes ago. He hadn't noticed that you were no longer following him a while back so he came to the last place he saw you, the painting on the wall.

        He stood behind you and smiled. "I see you have found one of the many portraits of the royal family," he said.

        You stayed facing the painting but gave a nod to show that you acknowledged his comment. "I guess so, though I have no idea who they actually are," you replied quietly.

        Gilen chuckled and began to explain. "The man in the center was once our king und the grandfather of the two boys in the picture. The boys are the two princes. I'm not going to tell you who's who though. That is for me to know und for you to find out."

        You sighed and turned to face Gilen. "Then let's get a move on. The sooner I find out the better," you said sadly.

        Gilen frowned at the floor guiltily. He knew it was his fault for you being in the position you were in now. The albino male looked back up to you with sad eyes. "Let's go," he said quietly.

        You only nodded to him in response and began to follow him once more. You silently hoped that the blond boy in the painting was the one you were going to marry, but you were leaning more towards the dark red auburn one. The blond boy seemed to be quite cheerful while the other seemed cold and distant. Is this what you were doomed to? A marriage with a vampire who probably only loved you for your beauty and possibly even blood? You tried to cleanse your mind of the latter reason. Just knowing that the second thought could be true sent shivers down you spine.

        Gilen suddenly stopped in front of two large doors, causing you to bump into him. He chuckled knowing that you had spaced out on the long walk to the throne room. You gave him a playful punch to his left shoulder and gave a small giggle of your own. Gilen stopped laughing and put on a serious face. You did the same. Gilen gently knocked on one of the doors. A muffled "Enter," came from the other side. Gilen opened the large door and stepped aside to let you pass. You slowly walked past him, smiling to thank him. He smiled back and moved to stand behind you after closing the door. You looked around the large room in awe.

        The walls were just like the ones in the halls you walked through with Gilen. Same wallpaper, same designs, and same white pillars. A giant chandelier, undoubtedly made from the finest glass crystals, hung from the center of the ceiling. The glass fragments twinkled in the light that was being expelled from the small lights on it and from the moon outside.