6

connors pov

He was a concussion to my brain. An everlasting mind-teaser that I couldn't come to terms with. It wasn't something easy to accept for me. I had begun to think hard that night about all the people who have ever really shown an interest in me. There weren't many. I didn't know how someone like him could be so fascinated by someone like me. If I had seen a short kid crying in the bathroom I probably wouldn't have tried to approach him about it. But I'm really glad that he did. It scared me that he already seemed to care so much. If he ever found out about my past I can't even think about what he might say. That's exactly why I will never tell him. I don't want pity.

After we came back to school that day and went our separate ways for the rest of our classes I came home and opened my book bag to get my homework out. A blue sticky note fell out of it when I pulled out my calculus text book. It had a phone number on it. Troye? I thought. Probably not.

I texted the number saying, who is this?

They texted back within seconds. Who do you think?

So I did think. I thought about everything and I couldn't stop. I left that message on read for almost 5 minutes. I knew it was Troye, of course, but I also knew that I shouldn't be getting involved with this. I wondered what my mom would say. I wondered if she was good at advice.

Troye? I texted back. My fingers were sweating.

Mhmm, he answers and I can practically see the smirk on his face. His boney and pale face.

Hi, I reply not knowing what else would be suitable. I don't think I've been as nervous my whole life as I was these past few days.

Are you doing anything right now? He asks, making my heart beat ten times faster than normal.

Not exactly, I reply.

Do you wanna hang out?

I swear I'm frozen. I stare at the phone screen for a long time. What even? What?

Sure. My mom isn't home, do you want to come to my place? What did I just say?

Eager, Con.

That's not what I meant.

Sure. Txt me your address.

And I did it. I gave this boy my address and he's coming to my apartment. Right now. I did regret it for a minute but then I was nervous and then I was excited. And then I was terrified.

I went to the bathroom really fast and combed my fingers through my hair, which did nothing. I brushed my teeth and then used the bathroom and then washed my hands and then brushed my teeth again.

I ran to the living room straightening up throw pillows and magazines that were strategically placed on the coffee table and haven't been touched. I go to the kitchen and put all the dirty dishes into the dishwasher.

And then the doorbell rang. And then I ran really fast, tripped over the carpet and hit my head on the door, falling to the hard wood.

"Connor? Was that you?"

I stood up really fast and opened the door. To be honest, I was trying not to laugh at what I had just done.