23

troye's pov

I'm almost done typing my essay when a light tap on the door steels my focus. My mother pokes her head in from outside my room. Her hair up in a tiny bun and her glasses framing her sweet, worried eyes.

"They're here, T. Come help Sage set the table."

I scamper away from my desk, excited to see my beautiful boyfriend. Oh, and his mom. When I make it out of my room and into the dining room Connor, Sage and Tyde have already started setting plates, forks and napkins out. Connor seems too focused to look up when I enter the room so I take my time to look him up and down, laughing to myself that he's mine and I still want to check him out every chance I get. He must've felt my eyes on him because he looks up and grins, his white teeth blinding. I smile back and make my way around the table so I can wrap my arms around him. He grabs my sides and I squeal into his chest. Then he picks up my chin and pecks my lips sweetly. He whispers, "Are we gonna tell them?" in my ear and I nod against him, feeling nervous all of the sudden.

"Ew," moans Tyde.

"Shut up, squirt," I snap back. "You'll understand one day."

Connor smiles at him and claps his hands excitedly like he wants to tell me something.

"I've finished my photo diary this morning! I think it's really good but I want you to look at it after dinner, okay?"

"Of course. I'm just finishing my essay and I want you to see it, too."

Just then my dad walks in and takes his seat at the table.

"What is this we're talking about?"

"Dad, I've told you at least fifteen times. You know that senior project thing we've been working on? It's due on Tuesday."

Today was Sunday and we were having dinner like we do every weekend. Con and his mom would come over and we would eat together because they're alone all the other nights of the week. Connor comes over a lot for dinner but his mom always comes on Sunday. We think it's funny that our parents have become such good friends. Connors relationship with his mom has grown and almost healed. It may be a little broken at first but they are at a really good place. They've also adopted a kitten that Connor and I found in the park recently, scared and alone. They named her Tavvy and she's really cute but doesn't trust anyone the way she does Connor. They are a great pair and it makes me happy to know that he's not completely alone in the apartment when his mom isn't there.

My mom and Connor's approach the dining table, then, with enormous dishes of food and put them in the center and then take their seats, laughing about something. Connor squeezes my hand under the table like I remember him doing a long time ago when I was sick. I squeeze it back with equal eagerness and gaze into his evergreen eyes. They speak to me, asking are you ready? Mine answer back yes! with excitement. Before my mom announces that we should get our food, Connor and I stand up, causing all the attention to land on us.

"We have to tell you guys something," Connor announces. Both of our mothers go pale and look like they're preparing themselves for bad news.

"No, we aren't engaged mom, you can relax," I let out and both of our mothers laugh in a relieved manner. Connor and I blush and wait for my family to calm down before we make our announcement. Then, he looks at me asking me to do the honors and I nod, happy to.

"Connor and I... have both been accepted to Berkeley!" I exclaim. Our parents faces look overjoyed and it makes me feel good that we've made them so proud.