I Remember

Second last chapter.

I'm actually tearing up while writing this.

I'm going to miss updating this fanfic.

I'm going to miss all of you sweet readers <3

---

"Holly? Holly!"

There was someone calling my name.

I opened my eyes, instantly wincing at the seemingly bright light above me. After a few blinks, I realized that I was lying on the ground, and was staring at the sun.

"Are you okay?"

I slowly got up to a sitting position, and found myself staring directly into Chen's frantic gaze, as he placed his hand on my back in case I fell over.

"What...?" everything suddenly hit me like a ton of bricks, as I stared at the road right in front of me, with cars still zooming by left and right.

"What were you doing?" I felt a prick of guilt as I heard his voice wavering.

"I'm a murderer," I found myself whispering, my voice hoarse. Swallowing back a lump of tears, I got to my feet and stared at the ground, "I don't deserve to live."

"Listen Holly," Chen gripped my hands, warm ones embracing the ice-cold ones, "I heard everything as well. And I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry for thinking that you were a murderer."

"But I-"

"You're not," he interrupted, shaking his head, "your father would've killed 3 people, on purpose. You were prepared to die yourself, weren't you? You didn't know if any of you would live. You were willing to sacrifice your life to save 3 people."

"That's not what you believed these past 3 months," I mumbled, "but now I know. I remember everything."

"Holly, it's-"

"I crippled her, didn't I?" I interrupted, giving up on stopping the tears from flowing down my cheeks, "the car ran over that girl's leg. That's why she has a limp. She's the child of the guy my mom was kissing, wasn't she?"

"Yeah," he averted his eyes, but still stared at our intertwined hands, "you were the only one that wasn't injured badly in they accident, weren't you? You were the only one that was led away by the police."

"I killed someone, I crippled someone, and I sent the rest to the hospital. Yet I was the only one who made it out with nothing more than amnesia," I recited robotically, turning my eyes back on the road. My blurry vision made the car lights bleed together, so it just looked like one big splotch of lights against the crystal blue sky, "so why did you save me?"

"Because you did the right thing," Chen whispered. He took a deep breath before finally meeting my eyes again.

"The right thing?" I echoed bitterly.

"The right thing doesn't always mean that no one gets hurt. The right thing can be the hardest thing to do. But in the end, it's the best thing you could've done," he held my gaze defiantly.

"My sister died," my voice broke.

"I know," he murmured, "and I don't know if you'll believe me when I say this, but I think your sister would've wanted you to be able to achieve anything you wanted, do anything you pleased, and move on from the past, because all she wants is for you to be happy."

"I don't think I can," I shook my head, "I don't think I'll ever be able to look my parents in the eye ever again."

"Eventually," he breathed, so softly that I had to strain my ears to hear, "eventually you'll move on. That's what we all have to do. Eventually."