Vocal Training

It was raining. Softly at first, then harder and harder until the windshield was barely visible. A flash of lightening lit up the car temporarily, making someone scream.

The radio was playing the latest hit song by Beyond, the band my father loved so dearly. He knew how to sing along to every one of those songs, so I was surprised to realize he wasn't singing along at that time.

My vision turned sideways, and I found myself looking at my dad. His white hands clenched tightly on the steering wheel, not moving to turn on the windshield wipers despite the fact that almost nothing was visible.

And then........

"Wake up, Holly!"

My eyes flew open, and I bolted up on my bed. The sun filtered through the window beautifully, and my roommate was humming along to "Voodoo Doll" as she looked at me with amusement.

"It's time for training now.....hurry or you'll be late," Sophia explained, kicking my blanket off.

"Okay, okay," I grumbled, a contradicting smile on my face. I quickly got dressed, and we ate a bowl of cereal before rushing towards the training building.

"Are you still tired after that concert?" I asked, noting Sophia's yawn, "it's been 3 weeks already!"

"No, I just haven't been able to sleep well these past days," Sophia replied with another yawn.

"Make sure to sleep earlier today," I warned her.

"Alright mom," Sophia rolled her eyes at me, but gave me a hug all the same. We reached the 3rd level, and Sophia gave me a wave before skipping out. That girl. I sometimes worried that her competitive nature would do harm to her own body without her even realizing it.

The elevator closed, and I waited patiently as it went up to the 6th floor, which was for vocal training. Once I arrived, I took a deep breath and put on a smile before walking out.

"Ya ya ya! Why're you late?" a too-familiar voice greeted me playfully.

I closed my eyes, counted to 3, and opened them again. Nope. Still there.

"Ya, are you really that shocked?" Chen tilted his head to one side, absently playing a scale on the piano.

"U-um.....what's going on?" I glanced around the room, but none of my classmates or my teacher was there.

"Your classmates are in the other rooms......with other idols. We're the teachers today," Chen smirked.

"You? For me?" I repeated, wondering if I had really woken up yet.

"Yep! We do this once in a while. Let's not waste time, and start, yes?" Chen got up from the piano, and over to the desk where some sheet music were, "come to think about it, I need a good idea of your voice and range first. Sing for me."

"For you?" somehow, I felt like I was getting dumber and dumber I'm front of him.

"Who else?" he questioned, giving me a crooked smile that made me swoon.

No Holly, this is not right. Just focus.

And I'm thinking about how:

People fall in love in mysterious ways.

And maybe it's all part of a plan.

I just want to be with you every step of the way.

And I just wanna tell you I am.

"As expected, your voice is very soothing," Chen clapped, "made for ballad songs. But you can reach those high notes as well, I think."

"Thank you," I bowed.