Monthly Assesement

"Everyone, pay attention!" the dance instructor clapped her hands together. We all looked up expectantly, and was surprised to see that the teacher wasn't dressed in her regular workout outfit. Did we not have class today?

"Your monthly evaluation is coming up," she continued. A huge burst of chatter suddenly sprung from the students all around me, as they started talking to each other.

"You are to choose a song of your choice, and this month's focus is dance. That means you must learn the dance of a song, and master it," the dance instructor looked at us strictly, "this is not to be taken lightly, as there will be an audience."

"Audience?" several voices said in alarm.

"That's right. You don't know who will be judging your performance, so you have to make sure to do your best," the teacher nodded. She gestured us to follow her to the other dance room, and we all filed in quietly.

There were about 20 different songs that were pasted to the floor.

"You are to choose one, and stand behind it. You are not allowed to change, so choose carefully," the dance instructor told us.

Several people automatically ran to a particular song, obviously very clear on what they wanted. I wished Sophia was here, so we could talk about which songs were good to dance to.

I walked around slowly, and realized they were all the latest hits. Bang Bang Bang, Love Me Right, View, Catch Me If You Can.....the list went on and on, all from amazing groups.

I desperately wanted to do Love Me Right, but I felt like I wouldn't be able to improve on that dance. I still felt weird every time I danced to a boy group - probably because I could barely dance to a girl group in the first place.

I finally settled with Miss A's Only You. I hadn't watched the dance version yet, but I had watched the MV and liked it a lot.

"Alright, you all have chosen right? You have 1 week, starting today. All dance periods will be free practice. Do not disappoint us."

And with that, our teacher left. Several students automatically ran to other dance rooms, no doubt wanting to get one to themselves. However, most stayed put and instead started talking to others about this task.

"Why did you choose this song?" the boy standing beside me asked. I realized he had chose Love Me Right.

"It's very catchy," I commented matter-of-factly, "what about your song choice?"

"I really admire their dancing," he confessed. Sending me a small smile, he extended his hand, "I'm Michael. Nice to meet you, Holly."

"How do you know me?" I blinked in surprise.

"You're a very good singer and dancer," he replied, not really answering my question.

"Ah......thank you," I bowed.

"Do you want to go find a practice room?" he offered. I nodded, and followed him out of the crowded room.

We ended up being able to only find one empty room, and agreed that we would share the room to practice.

"Where are you from?" I asked, "are you also a foreigner?"

"I'm from England," he replied. So that's why he had a British accent! He gestured awkwardly at his iPad, "ah.....should we start practicing?"

"Of course," I agreed, biting my lip. I turned back to my own iPad, and searched up their dance video.

After watching it 3 times, I realized I would have to practice a lot to look even somewhat like them while dancing. I was definitely more confident singing than dancing.