[Turning You] On! Chapter 32

Chapter 32

I pulled into the park, the park where me and Rickey always spent our time when we were together. The park where everything he told me was a lie. The park where he had asked me to meet him at so we could talk after he informed me that his mom had died. I cut off my engine and my lights died off. I could see Rickey sitting in the swing as the lamp next to the swing set casted his shadow. I got out of the car and made my way over to him. It was early morning and I had school in the morning and here I was meeting with my ex to console him after everything he had put my through.

I went and took my seat in the swing adjacent to his, he had not yet looked at me and his head hung low. I knew how it felt. I had felt this way when my brother died which was most likely why I carried so much sympathy for him.

“Rickey?” I called out his name lowly. He glanced up at me and my heart went out to him. His eyes were bloodshot red and they had dark circles around him. His face said it all. He had lost the person that meant the most to him in this world. “Are you okay?” I asked knowing fully that he wasn’t.

“Is that a rhetorical question,” He asked with a chuckle.

“Rickey you don’t have to pretend to be strong. I know it hurts and I know---“

“I don’t think you do know Brielle. I know you lost your brother and all but she was the only thing I had left and without her I don’t see why I am still here.”

“Rickey don’t say that. I know you’re hurt and upset, but your mom wouldn’t want you to grieve over her forever. She’d want you to live your life and be the amazing guy that she raised you to be.”

“I can’t do it without her Brielle,” He said finally breaking down and showing all emotion. I went and kneeled down next to him.

“Rickey you can do it and your mom would want you to continue to great things. Graduate from college, get that job on sports center that you always wanted. Marry an incredible girl and have little Rickey’s” He chuckled and wiped the tears that had spilled from his eyes. He got on the ground with me and rested his head against the post of the swing set.

“I don’t know how you do it?”

“What?”

“Have such a big heart. I never would have thought that this would be you here right now Brielle, not after how I treated you. Any other person would have gotten even including me.”

“I’m not any other person,” I responded.

“I know, that’s what makes you so great,”

“Remember when we were dating and we went to Scooter’s and somehow Hope had gotten ahold to some liquor.” I chuckled knowing exactly what he was talking about.

“Yea, she was all over you that night and then she finally kissed you and called me a whore and said that I was only a pair of legs that you wanted to pass through.” As I said it out loud I realized that she was right. The atmosphere immediately changed for me and the situation became awkward.

“The next week when some girls ganged up on her and called her the same thing you stood up for her. Why?”

“I didn’t like being treated that way, so I know she didn’t and beside it was her against three girls. That’s horrible.”

“I would have joined the other three girls after how she acted.” He informed me. I laughed.

“You were cold!”

“No I wasn’t I just didn’t take any shit.”

“She was right though,” I told him

“Who Hope?”