Your Size Doesn't Matter!

* June 7th, 2013*

"Hey, how much for these Jordan's?" Some guy asked me. "75." I responded. My name is Kyrie but I go by Stallion. Idk how I got that name and yes, I know what it is and no, I don't care. By the way, I'm 100% straight. But, I'm 15, dark-skinned, glasses, 5'7, and heavyset. Yea, yea. Hahaha. Laugh! It's funny to me too. Anyway, I work at Footlocker and I'm there now. Disrespectful people come in and out and I don't have the patience. I was checking my register and writing down my last orders when I hear a group of boys come in. I look up and suck in a breath. They were fine!! They all piled over by the Niggah Section a.k.a Jordan's and Nike's. They were just talking and I couldn't keep my eyes off the boy with the haircut and gray shorts. The manager came out from the back. "Bennie, I'm about to clock out. My shift is over." I said. "Ok. See you Monday, Kyrie." he said. I nodded and walked from around the counter to hear, "Stallion!" I look to see my friends: Azendra, Raven, and Trayvon. Those boys all look at us and I lock eyes with Mr. Haircut. I look away real fast. "Wassup, y'all?" I ask. "Nothing. You ready to hit this mall?" Tray asks. "Hell yea!" We all reply. Just as we were about to walk out, somebody says, "Excuse me, miss? Can you help us?" I turn around and all those boys are standing there with shoes. "Yea, with what?" I ask. "We need all these in a size 13 and those in a size 12." a boy in red basketball shorts says. "Well we're all out of 13s for any of these shoes. But if you wanna order them, you can. And I have to go get your 12 from the back. Just give me a second." I replied and then walked to the back room. "Mannie, do we have a size 12 in the red, white and black Griffeys?" I asked. "Yea, last pair, too." he said. "Okay. Before you clock out, check what shoes we're out of and then e-mail me the list." "Ok. Bye, Kyrie." "Bye, Mannie Fresh." I said and then walked back to the counter. "Here are your shoes. And did you all decide if you wanted to order yours?" I say. "Yea. How long will it take?" Gray shorts asks. "Umm, 3 to 4 business days. We'll call you when they come in." I said and smiled. The boys nodded and I wrote their numbers and what shoe they ordered. "Stallion!" Trayvon says. "What, Tray?" "Meet us in the food court." "Aight." I reply without looking up. "Stallion?" the boys say. I look up and say, "Yea, what about it?" "Is that your real name?" Gray shorts asks. "No, my nickname." I replied. "Oh." They said. "Well, I have your orders and I'll send them in." I said. They said thanks and then started leaving. I was following behind them when Gray shorts turns around and says, "Hey Stallion." "Yea?" "You're pretty. Hit me up some time." He says and then gives me his number. "Umm, thanks and I guess I will." I said and smiled. "Come on, Cole. Stop moving slow." One of his boys said. "I gotta go. But please hit me up. I really wanna get to know you." He said and then ran up to catch up with his friends. I stood there in shock. Never before in my life has a boy said or done what he just did. I shake my head thinking it was just a joke. I go to the bathroom to change out my work clothes. I put on some denim skinny jeans, black tank top, white hoodie, and black and white Griffeys. I walk out the bathroom and make my way to the food court. "Bout damn time!" Raven says as I approach. I laugh and sit down. "So what took you so long?" Azendra asks me. "I had to make one last order." "Yea, and cake it with Mr. Haircut." Raven says. We laugh. "It's not even like that." I say. "Negro, Please. Stevie Wonder can see that he was feeling you." Trayvon says. "I don't know what you're talking about." I said. "Yea, okay." They all replied. I just shook my head and we sat at the mall all day talking and shopping.

*5 hours later*

"Aye, today was fun as hell. We definitely need to do it next weekend." Azendra said. We nod in agreement. "That's if my sis ain't taken by then." Tray says. "OMG! I told you it's not like that. I don't even know ole boy." I said. "But he obviously wanna get to know you. Give him a chance. He seems like he,has good intentions. Loosen up, Stallion." Raven says as they walk off to their cars. I stand there and take in the advice. As I was about to walk out the building, I hear, "They're right." I turn around and there is Gray shorts or Cole, I should say. "I didn't properly introduce myself at the store. My name is Cole." "My name is Kyrie" I say. "That's a pretty name." " Thank you. But can I ask you a question?" I say. He nods his head and he motions to the door. We walk outside and sit on the bench. "Do you just go up to girls out the blue like you did me today?" I asked while looking at my shoes. He scooted closer and said, "No." "Then why do it to me?" "I'll be honest, I like you. At Footlocker, it was because of your looks. Right now it's cause of your demeanor and personality. And your friends were right. I do wanna get to know you. Only if you'll let me." He says and then lifts up my head by my chin. "Will you let me?" He asks and looks directly into my eyes. Piercing right through my glasses and into my soul. I got this weird feeling that flowed through me the longer I looked at him. He leaned in like he was gonna kiss me. I pulled back away from him and said, "I gotta go home. I'll text you tonight." I hugged him quickly and ran to my car. I know y'all are like: WTF is wrong with you? Even though I crave for a boyfriend, I don't let the first guy who compliments me be all over me. My parents ain't raise no dummy. I sat in my car processing what he said to me though. Seriously, no boy has ever said those things. G shit! I pulled out the parking lot and drove home. When I got in, I went straight to my room. I flopped onto my bed. My mom came in. "How was work, baby?" She asks. "Interesting." I said. "What happened?" "Some guy just gave me his number and told me to text him." "Really?" She asks. "Yea. It was creepy but flattering, I guess." I said. She chuckled and said, "Sounds creep. But I'll leave you alone. I know your days are long." and then she got up and left. I went and got in the shower and then laid in bed. I was pondering the idea of texting Cole. I mean, can it be possible that he genuinely wants to get to know me? I hate feeling confused. I've always been single and its never really bothered me. Now that it seems like someone wants to change that, I shut down. What the fuck is wrong with me? I grab my phone and the piece of paper Cole gave me out my pants pocket. I save his number and then call him. After 4 rings, I start to hang up but he picks up. "Hello?" he says. "Umm, can I speak to Cole?" I say. " This is he." "It's Kyrie." "Oh, hey. I didn't think you were gonna call me." he says while laughing. "Why?" I ask. "Cause you seemed scared of me when we were talking." "Nah, I'm just shy around new people." "I ain't gonna hurt you. I wanna know you." He said, singing the last part. He had an amazing voice. "I'll sit back and say to myself: Yea, I thought so." I sang out. "Damn, girl. You can sing." He said. "Haha. Thanks." I replied. "Well, I gotta go. But I'm glad you called me. Are you busy tomorrow?" He says. "I'm glad I did too and no I'm not. Why?" "Will you meet me at the park by the Boys and Girls club at noon?" He asks. "Uhh, y-yea. Sure, I'll come." I replied. "Ok. Good night, Beautiful Stallion." He says. I stayed silent in shock. "Good night, Cole." I said and hung up. After I got done talking to him, I felt relaxed. Like a big weight had been lifted off my shoulders. I went to sleep feeling an indescribable way.