Chapter 31) Everyone Knows

Lily's POV

I loved him, as much as I possibly could, but there was still doubt in my mind always that I wasn't enough for him.

"Joe, are you excited to meet my dad?" I asked, if I didn't distract myself from my thoughts I would lose my mind.

"Yeah I just hope he likes me, I know you'll say he will but there's still my doubts you know?" he rambled, he was so nervous and so was I.

My dad was just very judgemental, and I really have never had the best relationship with him.

"I understand for sure. I actually haven't seen him for a while, I wonder how he's doing." I sighed.

"Well we'll find out yeah?" Joe smiled.

I just shrugged and looked back out the window, I didn't want my dad to ruin my relationship. Then again I was already good at that, I mean how many times have we broken up and gotten back together? I feel like we're two puzzle pieces that seem to fit but you keep trying to get them to connect they just can't and one ends up bending or breaking, which one of us will break?

"Are you okay Lily?" Joe asked, his eyes looked so concerned and here I was thinking about one of us breaking.

"Yeah, I'm just tired. I haven't been sleeping well." I said simply.

"Oh, is it because of me?"

"No, I still sleep better with you then on my own, it's just, well I don't know." I said not wanting to reveal my insecurities.

"You can talk to me you know that right?" He smiled.

"Yeah I just think it's not being home, I've been traveling a lot." I said hoping that was good enough for him.

"Okay well take it easy okay, and don't worry so much. I know you can't control it sometimes , but can you try for me?"

I nodded grabbing Joe's hand and intertwining it with mine, I took a deep breath before staring back out the window.

...............................................

2 hours later

We finally pulled into my dad's driveway, Joe and I didn't talk for most of the ride and I knew there was still tension, all because I couldn't fully enjoy the moment. I was too worried about Joe leaving me rather than living in the moment.

"Woah." Joe gaped as we continued down the driveway as the house came into view.

"Is your dad rich?" He asked keeping his eyes on the house.

"Maybe a little." I said shyly.

"A little?" He laughed.

"Or a lot." I laughed. My dad wasn't ridiculously rich or something and he wasn't famous, but he has owned his own company for years and he's great at making deals. He was a businessman, and there wasn't a deal he couldn't win in the end, he always won, always.

"So when does the driveway end?" He laughed, but was partially serious.

"After that big tree right up there, then you can park where there's a spot open, but not in my dad's spot." I added, my dad was a particular man.

"He lives on a lake?" Joe asked seeing the lake far down the backyard.

"Yeah, it's a private lake for only the neighbors."

"What neighbors, there is like no one around."

"Yes there is, our houses are just not right next to each other."