Chapter 25: Destination

I can go home? Just the thought of all that I've yearned for makes my knees weak.

Din starts next. "We can create a portal for you to return, with our powers. Or would you prefer to make your own?"

My face heats up, and I squirm in my embarrassment. They saw me do that in the Silent Realm? Can you say, embarrassing? But if they're creating a portal, then I guess I can come back to Hyrule whenever I want. Especially if I'm a Goddess.

Cool, it's a two-way street.

Farore raises her hand, and a Triforce appears midair, with a hollowed center. I nod at her, and run forward. Before I jump through, I turn around and wave. "Bye everybody! See you soon!"

I almost jump through, but the Goddesses glide in front of the portal with grave expression.

"Once you pass through, you will be unable to return, Lively One," Nayru says. My heart falls to the pit of my stomach. What?

"This will be the last time you see your friends," Farore says. No way... After all of this heartbreak, there's more to come? I turn around slowly, and see Link, Zelda, and Midna with aghast faces.

"What? She's the Goddess! Can't she come back whenever she feels like it?" Link asks incredulously.

Din shakes her head sadly. "No. As we said before, our powers limit even us from freely traveling from realm to realm."

Farore sighs. "Please, say your goodbyes, Lively One. Go through the portal whenever you are ready."

"No!" I scream. "I don't want to go! I want to stay here, with Midna, Zelda, Fi, and Link! I don't want to leave them."

Din places her hand on my shoulder. "Lively One, your family hasn't seen you for two months."

The pit in my stomach grows deeper. Two whole months? What have I put them through? How can I possibly make this decision? "Can't I make a portal myself whenever I want so I return?" I ask.

They shake their heads. "When you return to your realm, your powers will be severed. You no longer will have your Triforce when you arrive."

My heart speeds up.

"But," Din says, "we can erase the time. It'll seem like all of this happened in a flash, and wouldn't be more than a second. Your family will never know you left."

"Okay," I say without even paying attention.

This is just getting worse and worse, and there's no way out. I don't know how I'll choose. I look up at the disappointed faces of Zelda, Midna, Fi, and Link. I can't help but feel like I've let them down.

Slowly, I walk to Zelda. She smiles through her tears, and holds out her arms for a hug. I jump into them, and she holds me tight. "It's okay, Neri. I know we'll meet again. But I'm really going to miss you."

I sniffle. "I'm going to miss you too, Zelda. By the way, I never told you how much I loved your hair, did I?" I smile sadly. She grins slightly, and brushes my hair with her fingers.

"It's okay. You didn't need to tell me."

Letting go, I inch towards Midna. She floats up to my height. And looks distraught. I feel horrible for having to be the bearer of bad news. "Midna..." I start. She breaks, and just flies into my arms.

"Neri, you can't leave us! We'll never see you again!" she chokes out.

"I know, I know. But right now, my family's going through the same thing. I have to go back, you know that. It is just as hard for you..." My voice breaks and I start to cry again. "As it is for me."