Chapter 14: Persuade

“I can undoubtedly say that I apologize profoundly for my previous behaviour.”

Fourteen.

“My actions were not of my own accord, but I take all responsibility and can say that I regret the predicament I caused you, Mistress.”

Fifteen.

Finally, I spin around on my heels after my patience has been worn thin, and Fi barely stops before hitting me. Not only has she been completely unlike herself, but she’s been nonstop apologizing—fifteen times, to be exact. I think we can establish that Ghirahim did this, so why is she taking all the blame?

“Fi!” I warn in a daunting tone. For some reason, she looks fearful—afraid of her mistress. “I’m not going to hold this against you, and do you know why?”

Fi’s guilt-ridden crystalline eyes—now blue, instead of that threatening red—just bore into mine, and she responds, “No, I do not, Mistress.”

I can’t exactly explain it, but I burst completely, and reach out and grab her shoulders. “Because I don’t want to! Because it isn’t your fault! Because you’re my friend, Fi!”

I lurch forward, and throw my arms around Fi’s neck. She still floats although lower than usual, but I still hold myself close to her. Fi can’t keeping criticizing herself when it isn’t her fault—no other explanation required. I can’t even begin to imagine how conflicted she feels right now.

My arms slowly drop, and I back away with a grim expression—she needs to let it go. We don’t accuse her for her Ghirahim’s ruthless attack.

“Mistress?” Fi finally speaks up in her melodic tone.

“Yeah?”

“If you don’t mind my asking, what was the action that you just displayed?”

“Um...” What action, exactly? “A hug?”

“A hug...” Fi tests the word on her tongue, and she turns away so that her back faces me and we remain silent.

Our trip back through the Lost Woods has been nothing but Fi repeatedly apologizing, and even I was beginning to miss the creepy whistle of the wind through the densely-packed leaves. Link and Midna stand to the side, probably just letting us run our course—though that doesn’t mean that they don’t stare at us as though we are freaks of nature.

I whisper, “Now Fi, I am going to ask you a question, and you must answer definitely.” She stays silent. “What would you prefer to call me, other than ‘Mistress’?”

Fi doesn’t say anything for a good several seconds, but I barely catch the one word that changes my entire outlook of her personality: “Friend.”

With her back still turned to me, she glows and shrinks back into the Goddess Sword’s aqua hilt, a trail of light following close behind her.

I smile—I am Fi’s friend.

I feel like a weight has been lifted off my chest. She’s let it go, and knows that we don’t blame her—not only that, but I finally managed to break her monotonous, emotionless ways. A warm hand rests on my shoulder, and I know whose it is.

“It’s good to know that she doesn’t accuse herself anymore,” Link whispers. My smile is laced with melancholy.

“Yeah.”

Midna comes up beside me, and says sheepishly, “I actually feel kind of bad for her.”

Wow, even Midna has sympathy. I turn around with a bounce in my step, and put my hands on my hips with a huge smile plastered on my face to cure the tension that hangs around us.