Chapter 24: Annihilation

"Link! Please no, Link! Oh my God..." I murmur, and grab his head in my hands. I lightly shake him. "Link, please wake up! Link!" My hand gently slaps his cheek, but it doesn't do anything. I limply fall onto his chest, and ball up the fabric of his tunic. "Link, wake up..." I murmur. "Breakfast is ready..."

I gently grab his cold limp hand, and put it against my cheek. "Why won't you wake up? You aren't dead, are you?" I choke out.

"Mistress!" Fi yells. She's been fighting off Ghirahim this whole time, and he lies on the floors, almost out of breath. He heaves and slowly gets up, clutching the throne for support.

"You were close, Lively One. You almost did it. But just that one second of delay cost you!" He grins triumphantly. "It is impossible to stop us now."

Us? I get up shakily, and stand on my wobbling legs.

Like my question has been answered, the Twilight Mirror starts to glow. Bright intricate designs shoot out, interlocking with each and breaking apart. They separate and recombine, until they form a black portal, with a white stairway.

The mirror has taken Link's soul, all so Demise can return to reign and set destruction upon Hyrule and all the other realms. Ghirahim stumbles, and sits in the lush velvet of the throne. His grin widens, to the point where I think his face will split in two.

I hear a heart-stopping laugh, and Ghirahim's eyes widen maniacally. That wasn't his laugh. Zelda is looking at the mirror with wide eyes, her brown hair falling over one of her amethyst orbs. Midna is sprawled on the ground, reaching towards the her mirror. Fi floats right beside me, her expression stoic and actually radiating anger.

The chuckles and rumbling stop, and I see one foot emerge from the portal and step on the white heavenly stairs. The whole castle shakes when it lands, and I damn near lose my footing again. Ghirahim gets up from the throne anxiously. Another foot emerges, black and scaly. Dark fabric with gold lining falls heavily around the feet, and a chest emerges, pale grey adorned with the dark scales. Muscular thick arms claw and separate the portal, until a fiery head with red-hot flames licking the man's head emerge and lighten up the emptiness of the portal behind him. His eyes glow the same deep red, and a small scar in the shape of an X tears across his forehead.

Demise.

He laughs deeply again, with enough power to make your heart stop and your blood run cold. My eyes widen, and my body freezes.

"Master," Ghirahim addresses him formally, and bows. "I am greatly contented by your return."

"Come to me, Ghirahim," he bellows with his deep voice. That voice makes my blood pound. Ghirahim nods, and a light envelopes his body.

A black Master Sword with maroon engravings flies through the air, and Demise catches it in his palm. "You've done well, Ghirahim." His smirk disappears and his eyes glare at me from across the room. My breathing stops. "Who are these weaklings you've failed to dispose of?"

The corrupted Master Sword doesn't reply. His eyes scan my body. "Well well, look who we have here..." he grumbles, another hearty laugh in his throat. "Hylia, is it? Or do you still prefer 'Lively One'?"

I don't answer. I can't even squeak. His footsteps make the foundation rumble and quake, as he slowly strides to me. "You don't even know your powers, do you, filth? Do you know how much power you house? No, of course not. Or else that"—he points at Link's bloody corpse—"wouldn't have happened."

This is the man who was brought back from Link's soul? His soul was used for this man? "Do you even know who you are?" He asks. I don't even say anything. "ANSWER ME, HYLIA!" he bellows, and the entire castle shakes, and rubble rains down on us. "Fine, be that way. It'll be a pity to kill my beautiful sister."