Chapter 20: Silence

I glance back at Link, Midna, and Fi, who all remained in the safe zone while I grabbed the first ‘Air Crystal’. Now I have three to get, Link has four, Midna has three, and Fi has four. Then we’ll receive the real crystal. After that, we’ll kick Ghirahim’s sorry ass and get back the Twilight Mirror.

Link nods, and starts climbing the ladder of the Light Tower. I remember there being one on top, so he’s already headed towards a step in the right direction. Midna takes a little longer, watching Link climb the tower. Eventually she closes her red eyes, then opens them with a new look of determination. She darts out and rockets towards the graveyard. Finally, Fi glides through the cool air towards the Knight’s Academy, where a crystal floats on the path.

We’ve already gotten one, so this will be easy. And the Guardians probably won’t wake up if we keep collecting them at this rapid pace, unless someone stupid enough falls into the light of a Watcher’s lantern. Then we’ll all have to scramble because we’ll all be chased by Guardians at any given time.

I see a small flash of light from the top of the Light Tower, so I assume Link got it. I should probably get going and stop wasting precious time.

Another small dim light shines from the stairs of the Bazaar, so I run down the path and up the stone steps carved from the wall. As I expected, another crystal is here. They’re all identical: clear with the same yellow hue and small air bubble with gold wind swirling and spiraling about. Gathering the crystal, I start again.

A light flashes from the graveyard, so I guess Midna found one. As I turn to find more, the sky changes from blue to orange, and I hear clanking of heavy metal coming towards me. Blood pumps in my ears, and a cool sweat covers my palms. I see the Watcher that looks over the graveyard go berserk, so I know Midna stepped into the light—she underestimates things too often.

Another Guardian flies at me with twin scimitars, and swings wildly about. My legs start to pump, and I try to find another crystal. Right then, I hear a scream, and I momentarily pause. Everything keeps going, so I assume no one’s dead. It sounded like Link, but he couldn’t have been caught by a Guardian—he’s Link!

A small glint from the path below lets me know Fi got a crystal. The sky changes, and the sounds of the Watcher’s rusty lanterns echo through the realm. Fi nods at me from below, and continues on.

More flashes of collected crystals come from the houses built into the hills next to the graveyard; and the bridge crossing the stream, where I see Link running to. I guess he’s alright.

A third flash comes from the roof of the Academy, so I think Fi got that. I continue running to find another crystal, after getting distracted by all the pretty lights. Fake crystals surround the Bazaar, so I grab another one overhanging the edge of the building.

Because I run so fast at it, I collect the crystal, then fall off the ledge before I can come to a halt. I yelp, and my body makes a dull thump as I hit the grass about ten feet below. Ouch...

Raising myself, I begin to brush off all the dirt and get going, but a light blinds me like I’ve looked at the sun. When I look up, I hiss in a breath. I lay at a Guardian’s feet, with a lantern’s light beaming down at me from a Watcher just next to it.

The eyes of the ethereal warrior light up, and he raises his giant sword. I hustle to find footing, but mainly just claw at the ground as I maniacally attempt to get up. The halberd comes down, and I fall flat from the shake emanating throughout the ground. To my surprise, the weapon is not even an inch away from me.

In the polished surface, I can see my scared wide eyes reflecting back at me, and a good chunk of my hair has been hacked off. Now that my bangs are only half the length of usual, I get my thoughts straight and catapult forward into a sprint.