❤︎✧13✧❤︎ One night

Hand in hand, they entered the airport.

It was crowded, and the atmosphere was a mix of feelings. Some people were bidding goodbye to their love ones at the departure hall while some were excited to go on a vacation with friends and family.

A sorrowful silence settled between Natasha and Clint as they headed to the departure hall. Natasha's parents were already waiting with two luggages as they arrived.

Mr and Mrs Romanoff nodded at Clint as they saw he and Natasha approach. They didn't mind that Natasha and Clint were holding hands, they understood.

They stopped in their footsteps right in front of Natasha's parents and Natasha turned around to face Clint. He took her hands in his and leaned in to kiss her.

Time seemed to have come to a standstill and Natasha and Clint felt they were the only ones existing, basking in the silence and comfort of the moment.

Then it was over, as the busy airport sounds swiftly returned to their ears.

Clint locked his gray eyes with Natasha's green ones.

"I'll wait for you."

Natasha managed to pull a small smile to her face, although she was hurting on the inside to be leaving the love of her life.

Then their hands reluctantly parted.

Natasha took her backpack from her mother and put it on. She then followed behind her parents as they headed towards the departure hall.

She looked back once. Once was enough to draw a stream of tears from her already wet eyes.

Clint stood there looking longingly at her. He waved once, caught her smile, before she turned back and walked further away from him. She was lost in the sea of people in minutes.

All that was left was the faint ghost of her lips on his and the image of her back getting smaller and moving away from him.

The coldness settled in on Clint again. Something he had hoped not to feel again since the night before. It was  childish hope. He knew Natasha had to leave, for her own good.

Perhaps she would return a few years later all healthy and ready to lead a brand new life, with him, hopefully.

A few years. He didn't know if he could live that long without her.

The plane ride to New Zealand was silent and painful. Of course, Natasha's parents took extremely good care of her and made sure she was comfortable and feeling well. She could only smile and nod subtly in response. She was afraid that if she opened her mouth to speak, she would cry, out loud and non stop.

Natasha looked out of the window most of the time, trying to focus her attention on the wisps of clouds that floated by and the occasional view of little islands and ships out at sea through the windows of the clouds.

She was wrapped up in a soft cotton blanket, provided by the airline. It was thick and of good quality, but it was nothing compared to the warmth Clint's blanket had given her. Perhaps it was because of him. She knew it was because of him.

Natasha had Jer Bear with her and she hugged him tight. He would accompany her as if he were Clint.

As her parents drifted off to sleep, Natasha remained wide awake. The cabin was dark as the sky outside. She thought of what Clint might be doing right now. Would he forget about her soon? Maybe it was best that way, the chances of her getting cured weren't exactly high. The trip to New Zealand might as well just be false hope. But to her parents, false hope in any way, was still hope.

It would be good if Clint moved on. She wouldn't want him to be burdened by her illness all his life. It was but one night, it was easy to forget, she convinced herself. But as she did, her cheeks felt warm and she realized she had been crying just thinking of Clint.

It was but one night.

Clint couldn't forget. He sat on his couch and sulked, hugging a cushion close to himself, imagining it was Natasha he was cuddling.

He thought about what Natasha might be doing right now. Would she forget about him soon? Maybe it was best that way, she could start a new life instead of sticking with a poor guy like him. He couldn't really give her anything. Her parents could give her everything, that is, everything but her health. He lived in this shabby apartment, nowhere fit for a princess like her. His princess.

It would be good if Natasha moved on after she is cured. He wouldn't want her to be burdened by him all her life. He was already struggling just to pay his school fees, how would he ever provide for her and give her a good life? It was but one night, she could easily forget although he knew he couldn't. As he thought, his cheeks felt warm and he realized he had been crying just thinking of Natasha.

It was but one night. Neither of them could forget.

🌿⚓️🌸❁🌸❁🌸❁🌸❁🌸⚓️🌿
Thanks for reading! Do vote and comment! Stay awesome xx