Chapter 28

-Ailith's POV-

The next morning, Calliope had come to Ailith's room to deliver her breakfast tray.

"That was a very dangerous thing you did last night, m'lady," she told her as she poured some tea into a large mug. "But you have my deep gratitude."

Ailith shrugged dismissively, smiling at her. "I don't like inequality or unfairness, that's all. And you don't deserve that, Calliope. You're a very beautiful and gifted witch."

Calliope blushed a brilliant magenta that matched her eyes. "T-Thank you. If there's anything I can do..."

Ailith was about to shake her head and say she didn't want anything, until an idea struck her.

"Is there... any way to receive news about outside the mansion?" she asked slowly. Has there been another attack? she wondered.

Calliope thought for a moment, pursing her lips.

"Oh, yes!" she said, excitedly. "The master reads the newspaper. I keep them all, because..."

She trailed off and flushed another brilliant pink. "I try to make heads or tails of it, but I can't."

"Bring me those newspapers," said Ailith, a grin spreading over her face. "I'll teach you to read."

"You're very kind, miss!" she exclaimed happily. "I'll bring them right away!"

Calliope ran out of the room, smiling widely.

***

She came back holding a large stack of newspapers, looking slightly flustered with excitement.

"These are the past week's!" she said, plopping them down in front of Ailith.

Ailith grinned at her and patted a space on the bed beside her. "Come sit, let's see what we can do."

Calliope hesitated before she sat down.

Ailith grabbed the newspaper and frowned at it, blinking, trying to understand what she was seeing.

"Are the pictures... moving?"

"Why, yes," said Calliope. "The pictures move, and if there are videos then you can play them."

"That is hella cool," she replied.

Ailith stared at the newspaper she was holding, feeling her heart catch in her throat as her eye caught a picture of Hunter's face.

"When was this published?" she asked, almost harshly.

Calliope flinched slightly. "A-A few days ago. Y-your second d-day, or so."

"I apologise," said Ailith. "But thank you. Is this a video?" she asked, pointing to Hunter's picture.

"Just jab the image with your finger. That's what the master does."

Ailith jabbed the image. It expanded to about half the size of the page, and a video of Hunter making a speech began.

Her heart twisted painfully and her stomach ached. He was speaking passionately about trusting in your beliefs. She desperately longed for him, for his touch, his words, his smile...

"He's handsome," gushed Calliope.

Ailith felt a sort of irritated jealousy in her stomach as well as agreement.

"He's my boyfriend."

He would have been at least. A part of Ailith scolded herself. It was only a few kisses. It doesn't have to mean anything. Even though she knew it meant the world to her.