Chapter 21

-Ailith's POV-

Ailith was aware of the rigid stiffness of her body. It took her several tries, but she managed to open her eyes.

She was in a bright room that seemed to be an infirmary.

"Gave me quite a scare, princess," said a deep, sweet voice.

The corners of her mouth lifted wearily. "Must you always be around when I'm hurt or I've been unconscious?"

Ailith's eyes fell onto Hunter, who was sitting in a chair beside her bed.

"It's in the job description. Need help sitting up?" he asked.

"I'm sure I can manage," she replied, dismissively.

Ignoring her, Hunter stood up and helped Ailith sit up.
He situated a pillow between her back and the bed's metal frame.

"Thanks," she smiled. Ailith realised that she'd been changed into a warm nightgown that was a lovely lilac colour.

"So what happened?" asked Hunter, his tone serious, his eyes angry and dangerous.

She winced as memories came flooding back.

"After you left, I changed into training gear. Amar came over, and we did a lot of the usual nasty stuff before he decided to stick a knife in me," she replied, running a hand through her hair, which had been untied.

Ailith noticed Hunter clenching his hands into fists so tightly that his knuckles were white.

"You know, they said that if you loved it you should put a ring on it, not a knife through it," she joked quickly, trying to get him to calm down.

"That fu-"

He was interrupted by a loud and disapproving ahem! "Excuse me."

Both of them turned their heads to see the newcomer.

A man, maybe in his early thirties, stood in the doorway with long megenta robes.

"Miss Everstone," he said in a professional, clipped voice. "I'm your medic, Wratsbury."

He stepped into the room and it took Ailith a moment to realise that his eyes looked relatively normal, except his irises were the same magenta as his robes.

"Yes, I'm a witch," he said impatiently, realising that Ailith was staring. "We're deeply intuned with nature. Most of us are things like medics and herbalists. Tell me, how're you feeling?"

"Saint-like," Ailith replied.

"What?"

"I'm feeling holy.. Hole-y. Get it?"

Wratsbury sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose while Hunter snickered.

"Out of the whole wide world of stab-related humour, you go with hole-y?" Hunter played along. He used alot of the line from Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, when George Weasley gets alot of his ear blown clean off.

"Continue your nerd-fest later," snapped the medic, obviously recognising the lines.

He began to observe Ailith, murmuring occasionally. "Eyes cloudy... Skin clammy..."

"You make me sound like a fish."

"Humour intact," he muttered, raising an eyebrow while glancing at her.

She grinned cheekily in return.

"Well," said Wratsbury. "You're healing remarkably fast. You've only been unconscious for a couple of hours. You'll be up on your feet by the morning."