Chapter 25

-Ailith's POV-

Ailith was dragged out to large arena, roughly the size of a football field.

She had changed into the clothes that she had been given, a black tank top and black tights; training gear.

Surprisingly, she hadn't been searched.

She had woken up in a soft bed in a large room. There had been a tray full of beautiful food that she hadn't dare touched. She had showered and changed out of her dress and into the clothes provided. There had been a dresser with perfume and makeup which she had used.

A maid had told her the time, confusing Ailith. It was 4am, yet she was being put into an arena.

"The underground works at night," she had told her.

Ailith's golden necklace hung around her neck. She was given a large sword that felt almost clumsy in her hand, meaning no one had realised that her necklace was a sword. All three of her knives lay concealed.

She was as ready as she could be.

She entered the loud ring to hundreds of people in an audience.

"THIS IS AILITH EVERSTONE, A HUMAN INCARNATION OF THE PHOENIX GODDESS. LOOK AT THE MARKINGS ON HER BACK!"

A commentator's voice rang out, blaring in Ailith's ears. The audience roared in a deafening a cheer.

Ailith hated being gawked at. Noise jarred in her ears.

She noticed a large creature, twice her height. It seemed like an armoured lioness with a long bludgeon-like tail.

"Are you bloody serious?" she muttered to herself.

She positioned herself, a heavy sword her only weapon. No shield and no armour.

Her heart pounded in her chest, fear began to take over every muscle.

Fear is in your head, she told herself, sharply. Only you control your mind.

She drowned out all emotion, all noise and focused all attention to the creature.

"BEGIN!"

Ailith only stared and braced herself as the creature charged with a roar.

Not very fast, she thought. The armour and the tail must weigh it down.

"WHAT IS THE GIRL DOING?" the commentator yelled.

"Shut up," she muttered as the creature continued to charge.

Ailith waited... Until the last moment.

As the creature pounced, she jumped out of the way, and tucked and rolled. The drug gave her new energy. It made her faster, stronger.

She leapt back up onto her feet as the creature let out an angry cry. A wave of dizziness hit her so hard that she doubled over for a moment.

"A SPECTACULAR MOVE FROM HER. WHO WOULD HAVE EXPECTED THAT FROM A HUMAN?"

"Racist son of bitch," retorted Ailith under her breath.

Ailith now stayed behind the creature, out of its line of vision, looking for chinks in its armour.

Joints, she thought. That's where the armour separates. If I can just get my sword in that neck gap between its head and back... But how do I get there?

Ailith spent a split second staring for too long, and creature's tail hit her squarely in her left side, where she was stabbed.

She was knocked down, a strangled cry ripping from her throat. Her sword had clattered three metres away from her.