Chapter 4

-Ailith's POV-

Ailith walked through the school gates, her eyes immediately began scanning for Natalie's face.

While she was straightening her shirt, a flick of vibrant auburn hair caught her eye.

Her heartbeat began to quicken. Ailith hoped that Natalie was okay and didn't actually know anything to do with Hunter.

"Hey, Nat!" called Ailith, jogging toward her before stopping abruptly.

Natalie had over loaded on make-up so much more than usual that it seemed like she had been pelted with 50 bags of icing.

"Uh wow- you look-"

"Great?" she suggested, flicking her hair.

"No, like a cupcake factory threw up on you."

Usually she wore about as much as Ailith did, but today she was stocked up on electric blue eyeshadow, red blusher and purple lipstick.

Natalie poked her tongue out at her. "Shut up, Everstone," she laughed. "I was just trying out Vanessa's make up tips."

Ailith's face twisted in disgust. "Nat? Someone mess with your head? We hate Vanessa."

"You hate Vanessa," she corrected. "I only disliked her because she was a bitch to you. But she's actually pretty nice to me."

Ailith ground her teeth and gripped her book bag tightly.

"Okay, fine. But seriously, what's with the Crayola tornado?"

Natalie rolled her eyes, which caused Ailth to change the subject.

"So how'd your date go?"

Natalie's face split into a huge grin at the thought of her first date with the guy she'd been crushing on for years.

The pair began walking towards their lockers as she talked, shielding their eyes from the blaring sunlight.

"It was amazing!" she gushed.

Ailith smiled, not having seen Natalie that happy and excited since her parents divorced two years ago.

"Details," she grinned. "Come on."

Natalie set into a long recount of her magical date with Dustin, which made Ailith's heart squeeze wistfully.

"Sounds amazing," she agreed, when they had walked into the sunlit, and frankly dusty, classroom.

"I honestly wish that I had someone-"

Before Natalie cut in, "Who is that-"

A boy sitting at the back of the room with a smug little smile caught Ailith's attention.

"He wouldn't," Ailith breathed as Natalie began to try and fix her hair and outfit.

"Do you know him?" she asked, but Ailith was already rushing toward him.

She slid into the chair beside him.

"Hunter," Ailith hissed. "What the hell are you doing here?"

Hunter's eyes gleamed. They looked surprisingly human. A beautiful honey brown.

"Keeping an eye on you," he grinned, looking obviously pleased that he was getting on her nerves.

"I do not need you here," Ailith snapped. "How did you even do that to your eyes?"

"I have some magic, you know."

By now, Natalie and Vanessa had made their way over.

"Hey, there," purred Vanessa, bending over the desk, with far too much cleavage showing. "What's your name?"