Chapter 32

(Media: Soul Sword)

-Ailith's POV-

As expected, their time together was brief.

Ailith had Hunter shaking her awake. "What's wrong?" he asked.

She gingerly sat up, her chest heaving and aching.

"Nightmare," she answered without looking at him. She wiped away at her wet cheeks. "I've been having them for a while now."

Hunter put his arm around her comfortingly, and Ailith leaned her head onto his chest.

"I can't afford to fall apart now," she whispered as he stroked her hair. "I worked so hard to put myself back together."

"You're not falling apart. You're dealing with your shitty pain and suffering. And the fact that you still have the courage to put yourself out there instead of hiding and crying, shows that you're winning the internal war within yourself."

"Fuck the internal war. What about the real one? That could kill people? I don't see at all what killing Lucifer did. Demons and angels still hate each other. I just.. I just need to be able to fix this.. Then I'll be able to hide in peace."

"If you can't take care of yourself, then how are you going to care for others?" Hunter argued.

Ailith sighed. "That's rich, coming from you. You know what, forget it. This is going in circles. Just- what now? Find the kids? Figure out what's going to happen next?"

"Can we just forget about that? Just for a little while?"

She glanced up at him with mock incredulousness. "This is coming from the guy that worked my ass off saying no smiling."

He gave her a little smile in return. "I'm serious."

"Yeah, I know you are," she retorted, sniffling a little.

Hunter opened his mouth to speak again when there was a knock on the door.

"The King wishes to see you and the prisoner in the senate hall, your majesty."

A male voice spoke from behind the slightly ajar door.

Hunter's shoulders sagged as he sighed. "I'll be there in five."

There was a sound of fading footsteps before Hunter made a motion to move.

"C'mon. We better see what he wants."

***

Ailith had worn her combat boots under Hunter's sweatpants. Her damp hair was pulled into a low ponytail and the Soul Sword was tucked safely away in her bra- the pants having no pockets.

"Remind me to get the chain fixed," she murmured to Hunter as they walked through the long corridors. "D'you reckon it's disrespectful to have the Sword squished against my boobs?"

Hunter shrugged, but she caught an air of his usual mischief, despite his stony expression. "It wouldn't be disrespectful if you had me squished against your boobs. Just saying."

Ailith smacked his arm, only to have him erupt in laughter. "Seriously!" she huffed over the heat in her cheeks.

"You have nice boobs, though," he said reasonably.

She rolled her eyes. "Yeah, yeah. You pervert."

"How is that perverted? You were in a bathtub!"

"You weren't supposed to look!"

Hunter laughed and wrapped his arms tightly around her from behind, before resting his chin on her head. "Well, excuse me, for appreciating your attractiveness."