Chapter 42

-Hunter's POV-

We've made good time, thought Hunter.

They had reached the meadow at sunset. When he had come hunting with the King and his court, they had always stopped in this meadow at sunset.

The meadow was only about a 50 acres itself, but past it were rolling hills and enchanted woods.

"This area," he said to Ailith. "Was once fey property."

"Huh."

He fell into a step behind her before he slipped his arms around her waist and hugged her from behind.

"Look at the view," he whispered into her ear.

"You or the landscape?" she teased, albeit breathlessly. Hunter couldn't tell if it was because of the hike or him.

"Which would you prefer?"

With his hands around her, he could feel a slight shake of a laugh.

And almost like her laugh had activated what he was waiting for.

The sun now was only a semi-circle, dipping into the horizon. The sky was painted with pinks, yellows, blues and purples.

His heart clenched as flowers on the hills burst into bright colour. It seemed as if it were brought to life. It was breathtakingly beautiful, a type of beautiful that had once left him stunned.

Now, the only thing that left him breathless was the sight of her.

Her cyan eyes were wide at the sight. Though she was sweaty, relatively dirty and without a trace of makeup, he couldn't help but feel as if she were more beautiful than the day of the ball.

There were purple depressions under her eyes, but her smile still was bright. Her wit and courage flared as much as her eating habits.

She was the only thing keeping him tethered to this world. She was the only thing that gave him hope, hope that there would be a better world, and she would share it with him.

In his reverie, he didn't notice her teasing smile until she let out another laugh.

He grinned back at her, before shutting her up with a kiss.

The salt from their sweat wasn't enough to break the sweetness of his mouth on hers.

Hunter could pretend, just for a little, that they were a normal pair of teenage lovers on a romantic evening.

Ailith shifted in his arms and her hands were suddenly in his hair.

He was about to take it further when a bright light flashed from the corner of his closed eye.

He sighed against her lips and pulled away to look at the source of the light.

It was a fire-message. He had sent and seen countless of them. They were secretive and couldn't be intercepted. Unless of course, you were standing next to the receiver.

Fiery words hung in the air. There were only four. 'Fire Temple at midnight'.

His stomach clenched as he waved a hand to banish the message. His heart began to flutter in his chest.

"What was that?" Ailith asked from beside him.

"Fire-message," muttered Hunter, rubbing his forehead. "Common means of communication between demons."

"Are you going?"

Hunter shrugged. Who had sent it? Was it a trap? If it wasn't a trap, why would someone want to meet with him?