Chapter 47

-Vanessa's POV-

Vanessa waited in the restaurant for Krystal. The Captains' debriefing was tomorrow, and the solstice was two days after. The armour and food had already arrived, so the only thing on the waiting-list was the communication devices.

Vanessa nervously adjusted her short dress and hair. Where is Krystal?

Her questions were answered when the blood-haired demon slid into the chair opposite her. Krystal's emerald eyes were lined with heavy eyeliner, and her dark hair was piled up on her head in an elegant knot. The dress she wore was black and exposed a fair amount of her chest.

Vanessa's heart began to beat faster against her own will. She hated having a crush.

"Hey," Krystal greeted, chirpy and confident as ever. "How's it going?"

"Great. Uh, do you have the ear and mouth pieces?"

The beautiful demon rolled her eyes. "Ugh, save the political stuff for later, honey. Have you already ordered?"

"Smoked salmon," Vanessa answered immediately. "I mean- I really do need them. If you can get them before tomorrow, then that'd be great."

Krystal sighed. She reached into her clutch and produced two small back spheres. "This one's for Ailith; to test. I have the rest ready."

"Which one's the earpiece and which one's the microphone? How do they work and how do you attach them? What about syncing them?-"

Krystal cut off Vanessa's flurry of questions with a musical laugh that made her heart flutter. "I can help with the tech stuff later on. I'm sure you or Hunter can figure this out easily. Can we eat now?"

On cue, their plates and drinks floated and landed on their tables. It still managed to surprise her. Vanessa grumbled and put the devices in her own bag. "Fine."

"Lighten up," she said to Vanessa, taking her knife and fork and beginning to cut into her food.

"Some of us have armies to direct," Vanessa couldn't help to mutter in reply.

Krystal winked at her. "Forget that for the night, darling." She raised her glass of champagne and brought it to her full lips.

Vanessa smiled and felt her muscles relax. "Okay." She raised and sipped her own champagne. "I'll forget that for now."

Vanessa wouldn't forget the magic that had happened in a hotel room afterward 

***

-Ailith's POV-

Ailith felt strangely out of place at the debriefing. She didn't belong with all those military leaders.

"We have communication devices that we will receive," said Vanessa to the captains of her squadrons. "And on the day, we shall distribute them, synced and ready so that we can communicate without problem. The radio and electromagnetic waves are undetectable as well as being almost physically invisible."

"We'll have Vanessa here," continued Hunter, making down a building on the map.

Ailith listened patiently. Though she had memorised the plan so much that she saw it in her sleep, it didn't hurt to have physical representations.

"And she will scout for the King's Men, the mutated and non-mutated, though there's little chance of them not being enhanced. As she notes each soldier, we'll have two men tailing each one; one swordsman and one assassin."