Chapter 23

(Ailith's eye make up)

By seven thirty, Krystal had successfully turned Ailith into a princess and made herself look like one too.

"Damn, I'm actually jealous of you," she said, looking at her.

Krystal had been getting ready side-by-side with Ailith, stopping only when Ailith needed her hair and eye-makeup done.

Finally, at 8:05pm, there was a knock on Krystal's door.

Ailith was sweeping her hair over her shoulder, so that her Phoenix Mark was showing, and just making sure that everything was ready.

She wore sports tights under her skirt, with her daggers sheathed at each thigh and combat boots, one of which held an extra knife.

She had her sword necklace on, and her credit cards and phone was in a secret pocket, hidden between the place where the bodice and skirt met.

Funny how the one special night of my life will probably be the most dangerous.

Hunter was at the door. "Is Ailith ready?" he asked.

"Yeah, I am," she called.

Ailith walked in the surprisingly pretty comfortable dress, to the door.

Ailith felt her heart skip a beat and the wind knock out of her, as her eyes fell onto him.

He wore a black general's uniform, with silver epaulettes. He had medals attached to his chest. His face was cleanly shaven and his hair was brushed, instead of artfully ruffled.

He looked almost like a Dark version of Prince Charming.

He seemed almost as stunned to see her too. His eyes widened by a fraction and pink tinged his cheeks.

"All right, enough goo-goo eyes. Out. Both of you," said Krystal, snapping them out of their trances.

***

Ailith and Hunter were walking down a long, wide corridor, and ahead of them, she could see the ballroom.

Only now, did the true weight and gravity of the situation get to her.

A lump rose in her throat. Her chest tightened and her breathing shallowed.

"Hunter," she gasped. "I can't do this. I can't do this."

Hunter pulled Ailith to another corridor, and gripped her wrists.

"You can," he said, firmly.

"Breathe," he added gently. "Darling, this will be hard, no doubt it, but I know you. You're so much stronger than you think you are. Smarter, braver and more capable, than you give yourself credit for."

Ailith felt her face crumple and a dry sob escape her lips. "I'm scared. I can't do this. I'll mess everything up."

"Ailith, look at me."

She refused to meet his eyes.

"Ailith."

She shakily lifted her turquoise eyes to his bright red ones.

"Your name means seasoned warrior. Besides being a daughter of both angel and demons, you're the strongest incarnate of a goddess. You have so much more power than a being should have."

Ailith finally felt her heart rate slow and her breathing ease.

"Don't you think I'm scared too? Don't you think I doubt myself too?" Hunter let go of one of her wrists, and stroked her cheek with his thumb. "I trust myself, just like you should."