Chapter 8

Ailith found her eyes fluttering open with a pounding headache and an aching throat.

She tried to move up and sit forward, her eyes still half shut when a familiar voice commanded for water.

Suddenly a cool bottle was pressed to her lips and Ailith's eyes widened in surprise.

She found the familiar red and black eyes of Hunter observing her.

"Good," he said briskly, "you're awake."

Ailith tried to sit up again, and found it much easier this time.

"Infirmary?" she asked, looking around at her surroundings.

A sunlit and sterile room, with first aid supplies and a sink. It was small, and she sat on a cushy examination table.

"Yeah, you passed out after coming out of the bathroom," said another voice.

Ailith's eyes fell on Aaron for the first time.

"I didn't go to the bathroom," she said slowly, pieces of the encounter flashing in her head.

"Can anyone hear us in here?" she asked cautiously, looking at the closed door.

When Hunter shook his head, Ailith first asked how long she'd been out.

"Ten minutes," Aaron asked. "Ithuriel said some sort of prayer while we were bringing you here before blowing softly on your forehead."

"Angels have the ability to heal," Hunter said solemnly. Ailith noticed Aaron's eyes light up.

"Minor ailments and injuries right?" she piped up, quickly, shooting Aaron a sharp look.

Hunter nodded, "nothing life threatening," looking at Aaron too, once he noticed her glare.

"Okay, anyway," said Ailith quickly, turning her gaze from a disappointed Aaron, feeling a knot of guilt forming rapidly in her chest.

"What happened while I was finding the bathroom was that I heard Vanessa and Amar discussing a conspiracy," she said, looking around like a paranoid fool.

She watched Hunter and Aaron's faces as they thought about her words and found nothing unchanging about them.

"Amar was trying to manipulate Vanessa?" asked Hunter, his eyes calculating as he studied Ailith.

"Yeah. Like, ew, they both had their shirts off."

"Vanessa is your basic hoe," Aaron said reasonably. "Maybe Amar just wanted some."

Ailith shook her head stubbornly.

"I've noticed that Amar is an arrogant asshole," she insisted. "And his exact words were 'Demons are retched creatures who don't deserve the miracle of life.' Doesn't that prove something?"

"Ailith," Hunter said, somewhat sharply, but not unkindly. "That's quite normal for an angel to think that. Especially one who's a dickhead like him."

Ailith swallowed. "I don't know," she said slowly, even though her mind was formulating a plan.

Taking another swig from her water bottle, she shrugged. "Maybe you're right. Shouldn't we be starting training?"

Hunter nodded. "We should get going."

"Hang on," said Aaron, looking from Ailith to Hunter. "If you're not feeling well, you shouldn't have to train."

"Yes she does," said Hunter tersely. "We teach endurance. Persistence. Not just fancy punches."

Hunter glanced at Ailith. "Come on," he said before walking past Aaron and out the door.