Chapter 14 | Monsters Within

Rain

“Attention, students,” the headmistress said, roaming her eyes around the field, where students of different levels are gathered

“Attention, students,” the headmistress said, roaming her eyes around the field, where students of different levels are gathered. “For the second round, you will face a combat challenge within the confines of our academy’s main building.”

Umalingawngaw ang boses ni headmistress sa buong field matapos siyang magsalita sa mikropono.

Pinunasan ko ang pawis sa aking nuo, habang ang aking mata ay nakatingin sa harapan. Kanina noong nag-ring ang bell ay sumabay do’n ang anunsyo ng isang professor. They instructed us to go to the field for the second exam to begin.

“The professors have created a trance for you to enter, where you will encounter various monsters lurking within the building,” she continued. “Each monster has been categorized according to its level, with different point values assigned to each.”

Murmurs spread through the crowd as we exchanged nervous glances. Nang tignan ko naman ang mga kasama ko ay mukhang hindi naman sila kinakabahan, mas halata ang excitement sa kanilang mga mukha.

“The I-class monsters will grant you 30 points upon defeat, while the M-class monsters will award 50 points. However, be wary of the R-class monsters. We only put four of them in there for less damage.” She paused and cleared her throat. “They are particularly dangerous, capable of inflicting physical harm. Though they may be illusions, they can still cause real damage.”

“But,” she added. “If you manage to defeat an R-class monster, you will be granted a perfect score of 100 points for this round.”

“Wow! ‘Yan ang gusto ko!” tumatalon talon na sigaw ni Trisha.

I gulped.

Ako lang ata sa amin ang halos himatayin na sa kaba. This is my first time in real combat, so it’s normal to be nervous and feel that your heart is about to burst because of it.

“Oy, hydrated ka na ng laway mo, ah,” rinig kong sabi ng isang gago diyan sa tabi tabi.

Naramdaman kong lumapit siya sa akin. “Kanina ka pa lunok ng lunok. Huwag kang kabahan! Wala ‘yan! Magaling ang trainer mo!”

I glared at him with my eyes squinting. “Puwede ba, Nathaniel. Lumayo ka sa akin at baka hindi pa nagsisimula ang exam ay tumalipon na ‘ko dahil sa hangin mo.”

“Luh?” Hindi siya makapaniwalang tumingin sa akin. “Umutot na naman si Sky?”

“Huh?” I heard Sky’s low voice. “You called?”

Nginisian lang naman siya ni Nath. “Wala, dude. Kalmahan mo lang.”

Naiinis ko siyang inirapan at saka ibinalik ang atensyon sa harapan.

“You will have 60 minutes to complete the exam,” the headmistress continued. “And remember, you cannot leave the trance until the time is up or if you are badly injured. Should you need to retreat, simply surrender by shouting, and the system will bring you back immediately, though your scores will be heavily deducted for this round.”