𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓢𝓲𝔁𝓽𝓮𝓮𝓷

"I hope you all studied your textbooks as I told you to. Today we're going to discuss the details of what you would've learned in chapter one. If you didn't read it, well that's your own problem," Mister Roger announces while walking back and forth with his hands behind his black suit.

I sit at my desk with my head in my hands. I'm staring down at the desk to avoid his gaze. He's been going on and on for the past forty-five minutes just droning on and on about how we should've read the material because today we're discussing it, but he's not discussing any of it.

At this rate, we won't get through our notetaking in time for our discussion on Monday.

"Now class, open your notebooks, and title the page Chapter One Notes," he pauses as I take my pencil. and add those words to the top of my already open notebook pages.

It's about time we started doing some actual work.

"Alright then, we shall begin. So, our whole country was once trash. Rubble. Complete dirt. You see, back in the two thousands, no one in our world could seem to get along. No political leaders came to an agreement on anything. This led to nuclear war by the year of twenty-twenty-six. This nuclear war completely knocked out a lot of the world as they knew it back then. The human race was extinct for a good amount of time, as the Earth practically burned," He speaks in a rushed tone as I struggle to write every single word in the notebook.

The whole world just disintegrated because of a war? That seems impossible.

"The world was utterly destroyed. Until a thousand years later when greenery began to sprout once more. And a thousand years after that, organisms and civilizations returned. That's how we got here today. Without any progress from this great planet, none of us would exist."

How did human civilization just magically reappear? This makes no sense.

"Our wonderful founding fathers rebuilt this year from the ground up in the year five thousand. They separated each section of the world into quarters, meaning four territories, and assigned four monarchs to rule each part. We will have a whole unit covering the current monarchs, and how our world is divided. That will be our next unit actually," he pauses, "Now, we do have some... relics from the previous world, but they're few and far between."

Relics from the previous world? Those would be interesting to see.

"And that's really the basic summary of unit one," he clasps his hands together and stares at us, "Remember, your test is the second Monday from today on this exact topic."

That was all from this unit? But the section in the textbook stretches out fifteen pages. Maybe there's a lot of pictures.

Still very strange.

******

Arthur and I are still just staring at each other. I don't know why, I figured he'd be tired of my face by now.

I was thinking that after the first day of this he'd try to get a different partner or something. Mostly because well obviously this isn't really working, and because other groups seem to be doing fine.

It's only the third day Catherine, give it time.

Obviously I'll give it time, it's not like I have any other choice.

I reach out, and put my hands on my knees. I put my head down on my hands as he just watches me.

Maybe I should actually say hello first this time?

"H-" I try to choke out but my mouth isn't allowing me.

He nearly perks up at just the sound, "I believe the word you are looking for is hello, darling."