𝓟𝓻𝓸𝓵𝓸𝓰𝓾𝓮

Someone was hanged again today, old news at this point around here. 

This news was spread by Father, who's presiding over the wooden table currently serving the meal of watered-down mashed potatoes. Presiding at the other end is Mother, and in the middle are six children, including me. We each carefully listened as Father relayed the news straight from the newspaper. 

According to him,  the person who was hanged was aged thirty. She never married and had no one to depend on. She tried to open her own business as a seamstress and wanted an independent life. However, she was subjected to work as a servant at the royal castle for the rest of her days. She refused and protested that a servant just wouldn't do. Being a seamstress was her passion.

Therefore, she was sent to be dealt with by his majesty, The King himself. The King decided that he no choice but to hang her the same day. He cited that this was due to her protest against the monarchy, and trying to even get a job in the first place. As he always states, a woman isn't supposed to be in the workforce at all.

As Mother listened, she couldn't help but crack a smile and a bitter laugh. A laugh? For the death of this poor woman? Surely even Mother could have some sympathy for her.

Father asked Mother why she was laughing at something as dark as a hanging. She remarked that the story of this poor woman sounded all too familiar to the expected future of one of their children.

Their eyes both slid from each other's, and before I could even question who she was talking about, their eyes slid onto me.